Ping works, internet does not. I'm missing something here..

Hello everyone! It's time for an absurdly stupid question from me...

Reply to
arcadia
Loading thread data ...

access lists are in place?

How does your routing table look? Is rtr_int01 getting updates from rtr_gateway?

Reply to
Matt nickerson

I would telnet into 3620 interior router and "show cdp neighbors" to get some idea of the connectivity between the interior router and the outer switch. Is there connectivity between those two devices?

Give us a "show interface fastethernet 0/0" so we can see interface statistics. Sound like IP is working on the interface but is traffic being routed properly out/in that interface?

Seems like some good first steps.

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Scratch everything I said except the interface stats. I didn't read that you could ping the outer switch.

Sounds like a routing table issue possibly. You are running RIP on both routers? Are the interfaces on the same subnet? Are there any rip filters applied to the interfaces? Are the routers exchaning updates?

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

The rtr_gateway probably doesn't know how to reach you because your behind rtr_int01. Is rtr_gateway a PIX or ASA? The fact that you can access the interweb when you bypass rtr_int01 by plugging into the switch connected rtr_gateway tells me that rtr_gateway only knows how to reach its directly connected networks. You could configure a static route on rtr_gateway pointing to the network behind rtr_int01.

Reply to
Brad

access lists are in place?

It sounds like maybe the NAT access-list on the NAT router is to allow

192.168.0.0/16 and more specific on all other traffic 192.168.xxx.0/24

The thing that most people in the replies is not paying attention to is its not a routing issue as pings go through.

Routers do not normally care if there routing icmp or tcp.

Reply to
saintjmf

If that is true then NAT wouldn't be a problem.

Careful with you assumptions ... The original post never said he could ping rtr_gateway.

Reply to
Brad

Sorry I meant it is allowing icmp from that subnet to make it easier for people. he said he could ping out to the Internet --- uh I think that router would need to know how to get back to the source of the address it just natted.

Thanks, anyway

Reply to
saintjmf

And if he cant ping out to the Internet and has not tested it past the edge then maybe dude should look for a new line of work.

Reply to
saintjmf

No, he never says he can ping out to the Internet.

uh I think that router

Yes, but being able to reach a host is a routing issue not a NAT issue.

Reply to
Brad

Actually he says he can get to the Internet when he bypasses the interior router.

Heres what he said: If I bypass the router (rtr_int01), and connect my Patchcord directly in to the switch past the router, I can access the internet.

Need more info....where did he go?

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Yes but he never said he could ping the Interweb from behind rtr_int01. That was my point.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
arcadia

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.