ospf router-id incident

I changed the loopback address on a 7200 and discovered that the ospf process was using the old loopback address, which in this case caused a duplicate router-id issue on my network, hosing ospf. I cleared the ospf process and manually set the new router-id to resolve this. It appears that only manually setting it resolved the issue. My understanding was the router selects the local ip, the loopback in this case. Should the router-id have automatically updated once I changed the loopback ip? Is the behavior I observed a bug or not?

Reply to
linguafr
Loading thread data ...

OSPF router id (RID)

. the OSPF RID is selected when the OSPF process starts

. after the OSPF RID is selected, it remains the same unless the OSPF process restarts or the router is reloaded

. the RID can be manually configured, however, the current RID will remain in effect until the OSPF process is restart or router reloads

any behaviour other than that described above would be a bug

Reply to
Merv

This is not necessarily a bug, sometimes clearing the OSPF process works, Allot of the times I just reload or copy my current config, do a

No router ospf Then paste the config again.

But it does happen sometimes when you clear the process the RID does not change.

Reply to
Yandy Ramirez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.