NO SERVICE PASSWORD RECOVERY

Hello I could buy a Cisco 2651XM but it is locked. The guy who wants to sell me says that he cannot unlock.

It is possible to unlock it anyway, even if the NO PASSWORD RECOVERY is enabled?

formatting link
according to these links, yes

but can someone tell me for sure that is possible? I dont like to waste 50 euro for that router if it is in un-working condition.

thank you

Reply to
Elia Spadoni
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the IOS version. Very old versions locked you out completely. Back when this was a highly undocumented command.

More modern versions of IOS/ROMMON now have the wipe config recovery option, and you get some mention of it on Cisco's site.

I couldn't tell you when this changed, but I could see the 2651XM coming out right about the beginning of the wipe config recovery option period.

So, its possible either way I guess.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hello this router has 128mb (1x128) and the latest bootrom, to support 256mb ram, so I think it is quite recent.

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Elia Spadoni schrieb:

formatting link

What did you mean with "locked"? Are you missing the password to enter the priviliged user mode? In this case it should be no problem to break the starting sequence and change the config register. Then you can start without startup-config, enter the priviliged mode and load the startup config an renew the passwords. If you need more help just ask ;-)

Oli

Reply to
Oli

Hello

The router is a 2651XM with the laster boot rom and 1x128mb DRAM

The router had in the config the "no service password recovery". Someore removed the flash memory (I suppose a 32mb one - the router HAD a total of 16onboard+32 added)

The router doesn't boot because cannot find flash.

If I think that was loaded a large IOS, it could be disposed a bit on the onboard flash, another piece in the added ram.

If i use a 2621XM with 16+32, and I load onto in 4 files (12.3(20) IPBASE that is about 7mb, if I load 4 different filenames .bin , there should be 2 ios on the onboard flash and someone else on the extra ram???

How can I recover it?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

I could then put the flash on the 2651XM and try... any other ideas?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. C2600 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED getdirent: bad file magic number, possibly out of sync boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

it does that in loop..

how can I do?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Elia Spadoni schrieb:

You'll need an IOS with the "no password recovery" recovery feature on the flash: filesystem which must be large enough (16MB for IP BASE) to hold one complete image. Feature introduced with 12.3(14)T or 12.4 mainline.

Without an up-and-running IOS there's no way out of this infinite loop, as you cannot break into rommon. You can only reset to complete factory defaults for a few seconds after the IOS is decompressed, but hasn't booted.

Reply to
Uli Link

Hello

at the moment I DONT HAVE a good running IOS on the machine, how can I do ?

Is there any kind of HW reset to clear just the NVRAM and then boot in ROMMON?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Ah, there isn't an easy way out. You must have moved forward on the purchase.

I think your best bet is to find somebody that has a good 2650XM, get them to flash your borked image flash SIMM with a good image. Put that flash SIMM back in yours, let it do the password recovery sequence, and remove the 'no service password recovery' so it won't hinder you again.

The problem is that 'no service password recovery' is designed to lock people out of the box when its in an unsecured location. People didn't like ending up with bricks, so there became an option over time to undo it, but only while a good IOS is booting. You're double done over by having that feature enabled, and not having a good IOS booting.

SO, to undo it, you'll need have it boot somehow without being able to get to ROMMON to take care of it. The easiest by far was is to proceed with another 2650XM's flash SIMM, but people probably won't like that, so, getting them to fixup yours might be an option. The last option would be to reprogram the contents of the cookie PRAM somehow, but that is going to be very dangerous, and very delicate, with a 98% likelyhood you'll fry it all beyond help unless you reprogram in-circuit chips all the time (not something a normal network person would be doing, more like an embedded systems developer).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I have here another C2621XM I tried to flash the SIMM but it wont start.

I installed on the flash 6 copies of the IOS named ios1.bin ios2.bin etc.

So since on the 2621XM its 16F onboard and 32F external simm, i reprogrammed to fill completely the flash memory...

with no h>>at the moment I DONT HAVE a good running IOS on the machine, how can I do >>?

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.