Network Analyzer Software

Hi there,

okay this is not cisco specific but I believe somebody can give a feedback on this:

Can anybody suggest a decent Network Analyzer Software for use on a Laptop? I am not talking about a protocol analyzer like Wireshark but a tool like a Fluke OptiView kind of Software.

Any suggestions?

Thx...Andy

Reply to
Andy Doe
Loading thread data ...

try with this one...I used it a couple years ago and it was fine for me:

formatting link
i

Reply to
Igor Mamuziæ aka Pseto

Thanks for this. Is there anything free available. I was thinking about suitable Open Source Tools for both Windows or Linux platforms.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Andy Doe

Do you have a better description of what you want?

"Not a protocol analyzer" but what is it that you want to analyze then?

Network statistics?

Reply to
Rob

Well as I wrote in my first post: I am looking for a software like a Fluke OptiView kind of thing. It should not only do protocol analyzing but also physical things like meassuring cable lenght giving stats etc. It should be something like a swiss army knife for network troubleshooting Layer 1-7.

I do not know if anything like this is around. Thats why I am asking.

Best...Andy

Reply to
Andy

On Ethernet, subtle L1 problems are a thing of the past so I doubt that anyone bothered to write anything.

About 4 years ago the place that I worked bought a Fluke fancy thing - cost a lot. =A3ks.

Spent next year at least in a drawer never knowingly used.

Netstat -e or get snmp working on linux/windows for more detail perhaps.

formatting link
The Catalyst 2960, 2970, 3560/3560-E, and 3750/3750-E switches have an integrated Time Domain Reflector (TDR), which is used to test cables associated with a port.

Reply to
bod43

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings, Andy chose the tried and tested strategy of:

What does OptiView do that Wireshark doesn't? Or rather, what does OptiView do that you want to do?

That would depend on the platform you're running it [a piece of software] on. The only commodity ethernet chipset I can find that has a TDR is AMD Lance, which I consider to be somewhat geriatric. Marvell ODM switches have TDRs on too, eg some Dell Powerconnect and Linksys SGE/SFE2000.

Minus the layer 1 bit, that sounds like an apt description of Wireshark.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.