Native IOS vs Hybrid

Hi all,

can anyone explain me what are the reasons why I should convert from Hybrid to native IOS on Core oder Distribution Routers ? What are the advantages ?

For my understand the on of the main reasons are there is only one operating system vs 2 operating systems.

But is there are also another reason from the technicals site ? Like performance, QoS...

Thanks all for the help....

Dennis

Reply to
dennis
Loading thread data ...

Personally I don't see any "special benefits" in Native IOS mode except "personal preferences" of network admin. I saw a comparison chart, and I believe there are some "features" which exist in Native, and do not exist in Hybrid, but they were so uncritical for us, that we just ignored them. I like to have separate functionality for Layer2 and Layer3, that's why I converted all our new Sup720s from Native mode they came, into the Hybrid mode. I would be glad if Cisco will make Catalyst 4500 Sup-IV and Sup5 into Hybrid... :-)

Mike

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

The questions I would ask are:-

For any site:-

1. Which one provides the features that I need.

For a 'greenfield' site:-

1. Which is the least buggy for my features.
  2. Which is geting the most development effort from Cisco. /and therefore is most likely to get best support

For an existing installation add:- a. What can WE best support.

I have not "been there done that" for a while but it does not look very likely to me that I would be going to CATOS on new Sup720s unless I already had an installed base.

On the other hand I would not be rushing into native IOS if I have a proven and functioning Hybrid installation.

You would think that CatOS must disappear sometime but clearly not for a while yet.

Reply to
Bod43

Hello, dennis! You wrote on 1 Apr 2007 22:28:56 -0700:

d> can anyone explain me what are the reasons why I should convert d> from Hybrid to native IOS on Core oder Distribution Routers ? d> What are the advantages ?

d> For my understand the on of the main reasons are there is only one d> operating system vs 2 operating systems.

d> But is there are also another reason from the technicals site ? d> Like performance, QoS...

formatting link
With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Hi Andrey,

thx for the l> Hello, dennis!

Reply to
dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.