Multiple routers with same gateway; it all works but for. . .

Multiple routers with same gateway; it all works but for. . .

We have 8 external static IP's, and 8 small routers from various vendors. A number of these got set to 192.168.0.1 for their inside gateway. When I plug into a lan port now on , say, a Belkin and try to manage it I'll find myself on , say, a Dlink.

How to deal with this ? At the moment I unplug the offending router and work on the one I wish , but that seems rather silly. . . .

Interestingly the internal system of networks and devices all function. Any thoughts short of ripping it all out and starting new, welcome.

Reply to
barret bondon
Loading thread data ...

This setup works at all? I'd expect lots of brokenness in this setup.

How'd any workstation get data out the correct gateway if they are all the same IP address? There must be constant ARP refresh and updates going on all the time, many dropped packets?

You could update each router with a unique inside IP address, that way you could address them, but that would probably break things further in this magic setup, as I don't know what selection is used to find the correct gateway out.

Yes, I'd rip it all out, put in a decent firewall device that allowed control over multiple external NAT mapping so you can have one gateway, the correct static mapping for what you want, etc.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The wise barret bondon enlightened me with:

What is your rationale behind having 8 different routers just for dealing with 8 external IP addresses? Is that for testing things? Or is there no other reason except for "dunno, it kinda works and it was there"?

In the second case: indeed: take 1 decent router (or 2 for failover using stuff like VRRP, HSRP, CARP, whatever) and configure it the right way.

If you really need to have 8 routers, check logfiles from your computers or perhaps your switches, they should be going mad with messages about multiple MAC addresses using the same IP address. Take the MAC address, use any MAC=prefix-to-vendor mapping page on the internet, and fix the stuff to use different IP addresses, and try to not go insane while doing that.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Huizer

'rather silly' is something of an understatement. Giving the routers different IP addresses seems like the obvious answer to me. Is there some kind of IP address tax where you are? What exactly are you trying to do?

Well if you're going to dismiss the only sensible answer...

Reply to
alexd

Well quite :)... but if the OP wants to keep the network similar and the number of clients permit he could do as in his other interesting post and split 192.168.0.x into eight subnets.

Reply to
Nick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.