Multilink Frame-Relay

My situation is as follows:

I have 3 remote sites and one main location (4 sites total). Now, starting with the main location, I have 3 separate circuits coming in there (each of which are point to point links via frame relay to each of the remote sites. i.e.. One line per remote site). Each of these physical circuits has its own serial interface on the router. And each of those 3 physical circuits in turn, has 3 pvc's on them (each as their own sub interface on each of the 3 serial interfaces). (9 pvc's total). So if you look at this from the viewpoint of having one main and one remote location, there is a physical line with 3 pvc's on it coming from one single location and terminating at another single location.

To make matters more difficult, this is the situation I have been given to work with. Getting another type of line/connection is not an option. So given this scenario, I was wondering if there is anyone that knows how to set up multilink frame relay interface(s) so as to bundle the 3 pvc's for each location. I want to do this so that I can use all 3 pvc's as one multilink interface and take full advantage of the throughput given to me for each location. The current setup is just using weighted routes for each of the pvc's, for each of the sites? Not my first choice, nor is it an acceptable solution. Ideally I would like to have 3 routes at the main (1 for each of the remote interfaces, which would be the multilink interfaces)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any sample configs to go with the help, would be even more greatly appreciated. FYI, I have set up a multilink interface with 2 t1's so as to combine their throughput, but never with frame relay.

Hardware for the sites is as follows: (Main - 2621) (Remotes - 1721) All are running IOS 12.3

Reply to
Edward Salonia
Loading thread data ...

Hi Edward,

You may wish to investigate:

Cisco IOS Wide-Area Networking New-Features List, Release 12.3

Multilink Frame Relay (FRF.16.1)

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Salary and Compensation Rates
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

That looks like a possibility; however, that site has me specify the dlci on the mfr interface rather than on each sub serial interface (which is what I would need to do... 3 different dlci per line and thus per mfr)

Will that work that way?

formatting link
wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Edward Salonia

Here's a working config... Why a different DLCI per line? MFR bonds the circuits so this seems odd to me.

! interface MFR0 description XXXX no ip address ip route-cache flow frame-relay lmi-type ansi ! interface MFR0.699 point-to-point description WAN ip address A.B.C.D 255.255.255.252 frame-relay interface-dlci 699 IETF ! interface Serial0/0/0:0 description circuit id 1111 no ip address encapsulation frame-relay MFR0 ip route-cache flow no arp frame-relay ! interface Serial0/0/1:0 description circuit id 2222 no ip address encapsulation frame-relay MFR0 ip route-cache flow no arp frame-relay ! interface Serial0/1/0:0 description circuit id 3333 no ip address encapsulation frame-relay MFR0 ip route-cache flow no arp frame-relay ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 A.B.C.D

alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg

I know it seems odd to me as well; however, that is what the ISP gave the client...

There are 3 dlci's per line (one for each pvc) so again 9 total. I guess the question now would be, can that be specified on each of the sub interfaces, and not on the mfr interface?

Thanks,

-- Ed

Alan Strassberg wrote:

Reply to
Edward Salonia

I am also looking to bond the 3 pvc's on each line into 1 mfr interface, not the 3 physical lines into one mfr interface... I think you mis-understood.

Edward Sal> I know it seems odd to me as well; however, that is what the ISP gave > the client...

Reply to
Edward Salonia

Sounds like I am running into the same issue. I need to configure MLFR on a 2811 with three T1s. PVCs are built between this site and five other remote sites. Currently each Serial interface is configured with sub interfaces that have DLCIs assigned on them. A sub interface is configured for each PVC to each remote site. Basically you have a different DLCI number for every PVC. How will this translate to the MLFR configuration?

Thanks Richie Tenhet

Reply to
riche10it

Yea, that is similar to my situation, only I have multiple pvc's and dlci per physical line that I need to bundle to a mfr. rather than bundling and assigning 1 dlci to the mfr interface... that wont work for my situation.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Edward Salonia

Edward-

Actually I believe we have the exact same configuration. Multiple PVCs and DLCIs on a single serial interface. I just did not explain my config very well....

Richie

Reply to
riche10it

Reply to
Edward Salonia

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.