multi-(v)lan/protocols via etherchannel?

Hello

I am not shure if my english is good enough to describe my problem and to understand the answer(s) but i will do my best and hope someone can help me out.

I have two cisco switches Model WS-C2924-XL-EN (one has two module slots, one not) both with IOS 12.0 Enterprise Software.

I want to expand my home network down in the cellar where i have an emtpy rack. But i don't have any Cable down there and no way to have one. So i must use other techniques like powerline or wlan.

One switch should stay in my rooms, one down in the rack. As interconnection i want a powerline and probably additional a wlan-connection (2 Accesspoints with Special antennas). I like to have this as bonded connection or maybe as failover.

So far i know Cisco named it Etherchannel and this should be possible.

But additionally i will use separete network segments with different protocols (one IP-Net, one Netbios, and probably an IPX Segment) which shall not be mixed.

I believe a Switch in general is protocol-transparent. But there are some helpers for IP Networks, so i am not really shure if the switch don't care the protocols or if (and how) i can set it up so it can identify the protocol-types on a port. Thats why i believe i shall do it port-based and probably i need some VLANs for it.

But i don't know if that is the best way and if vlans (binded to a group of ports) will do the job.

I know i have to set it up so each vlan will go through the etherchannel to the other switch and there it should land on another group of ports.

I know, its a lot of questions. Maybe i am totally wrong but i hope it is not.

Below a quick drawing to help you understand what i mean.

IP NB IPX

Reply to
Kay Martinen
Loading thread data ...

Yes, layer-2 switches don't care about IP or IPX (really?) or NetBEUI. You'll find that IP is the only surviver. Everything talks IP.

Oddly enough, Cisco documentation covers VLAN trunking and port groups on these switches. Note, the 3500XL and 2900XL are the same. Any IOS switch of this era is the same.

Here's some tech notes.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.