multi ospf paths

I setup my lab routers for ospf. In which I have formed adjacencies with my main router and remote router via serial link. All routes fine, I set a gateway of last resort on my main router to the interface of my VZ FiOS router and able to get out to the internet. I setup the nat correctly on the serial and ethernet interfaces and set a gateway of last resort on my remote router to the ip address of the main router serial interface. Hence I able able to get internet access from my remote segment.

I added a second serial line connection in which I established the proper connections and have two ospf paths between my routers and all the proper adjacencies have formed. If I kill the first serial link that has the gateway of last resort set on, I still have connectivity to my routers but no internet access from the remote router.

Hence, how to I setup up my remote router so I still have internet access if the serial interface is down that the gateway of last resort static route is set for?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

AJ

Reply to
ajn
Loading thread data ...

The wise ajn enlightened me with:

A little config here and there might make life easier :-)

But anyway... if ser0 is your 'first' link and ser1 your 'second' link, you could work with routes with differend administrative distances, e.g.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ser0 240 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ser1 241

(or ip addresses instead of interfaces). The admin distances will put these routes above the routes learned from ospf, and if the ser0 is down, that route will be removed from the routing table

Mark

Reply to
Mark Huizer

Thank you Mark,

I will try that when I am back in my lab tomorrow. I will post configs if necessary, but think your answer is correct.

I deeply appreciate your help and reply.

AJN

Reply to
ajn

Thank you my Friend that was the correct answer and now that works, I can shut down a link and still keep the internet connection and see the one route go away.

Again I appreciate your courteous reply.

AJ

Reply to
ajn

I learned how to use the

default-information originate command and seemed to make a nice solution also.

Thank you for your help, I learned a few new things, and not sure how to approach this in OSPF.

Reply to
ajn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.