mpls info not available via SNMP

Hi,

I have been told by a manager that mpls info is not normally available via SNMP and that telnet/ssh should be used. I am however concerned that this might not be true for modern cisco switches and routers. I know there is a lot of useful stuff in the MIBS and that I actually will be shot down in flames if I try and make the case for having telnet/ssh access for a core network with some 400 cisco devices.

Anyone care help me out?

TIA

Syd

Reply to
sydneypuente
Loading thread data ...

I (nearly) always start with google. [mpls mib cisco] in google turns up quite a few hits. MPLS-LSR-MIB MPLS-TE-MIB MPLS-VPN-MIB

You can also create limited-access telnet users? I think that you can list the exact commands that they can use. This can very probably be centrally managed with TACACS+ (maybe RADIUS too). Of course maybe the disable/enable modes will be enough or perhaps "privelege level".

My attitude would be to give technical aupport staff as much access as is safe. I get the idea that this is not a universal approach.

I got the idea from somewhere that Cisco have some tools for managing MPLS networks. Very probably eye-wateringly expensive for a small network but possibly worthwhile for a large one.

Reply to
bod43

snmpwalk the devices in question and see if it returns data you're interested in. What MPLS info are you interested in, BTW?

Reply to
alexd

i think it depends on the IOS version and possibly things like SNMPv3 context.

Cisco added some "stuff" to limit user VRF MIB access to things in other VRFs - it appeared in 12.2.40 or 44 on the 3560 for example.

You might see different results depending on whether you query from the default VRF or not.

other than went thru it in the rel notes, no practical testing done.

Golden rule is this stuff gets more restrictive over time in the name of security.....

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.