Module Engine

Hi all,

First question : For the Catalyst 6500, what is the role of the module "Supervisor Engine

720" please ?

is it like the mother card of desktop ? which provide memory, processor, ios, bus, network port, console port... etc ?

So, what is the real role of this module and is it mandatory for the switch ?

2e question : is it possible to buy one catalyst 6509 and later transform it to 6509 or 6513 ?

Thank You very much for your help !!!

Best Regards Rahan

Reply to
Rahan
Loading thread data ...

Rahan,

The supervisor engine is what holds the processor for the switch. It is responsible for handling routing protocols and also the configuration for the switch. It is a necessary component. 6509 defines the chassis type. Basically its a 6500 with 9 slots. The chassis can't be modified or upgraded later.

Mahalo,

David

Reply to
dnuckle

Thanks a lot for your quick answer !!!

Reply to
Rahan

The 4503 with Supervisor II-Plus-TS is the only 4000, 4500, 5000,

5500, or 6500 switch that I can think of which -cannot- be upgraded by removing the boards from the old chassis and installing in the next size up in the same line. (And that's because the 4503 is a fixed configuration switch, not a modular.) I am certainly not a Catalyst line guru, but as far as I -know-, there is no reason one could not replace a 6509 chassis with a 6513 chassis keeping the same boards (though it might need a larger power supply.)
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.