Memory issue

Anyone here who has already been affected by this issue?:

formatting link

We operate a Cisco 1811/K9 at work and although it is almost never restarted and runs on UPS power, I wonder what the risks are.

"Although the majority of Cisco products using these components are experiencing field failure rates below expected levels" does not tell me much, as I have no idea what expected levels are.

Is there any significant chance that our 1811 will not survive the next powercycle?

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

From talking to our account reps it sounds as though the chance of anything breaking is slim, it's still a chance. The "below expected levels" means that they have good baselines of what their expected overall failure rates are and the kit with the affected memory is doing better overall. You're probably just as likely to have a fan or PSU failure.

I got the impression that Cisco had been informed by the chip supplier of the problem rather than them having diagnosed the problem themselves. There also seems to be some surprise about that other manufacturers aren't making similar announcements since the source of the faulty chips (not disclosed to our Cisco reps at the time we talked to them) was thought to have supplied lots of other companies as well.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Ok. Let's hope it is like that. One can never rule out a failure, but I would not hope that 20% of the routers fails on the first powercycle after 2 years of use.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.