memory

Hi, I need to determine how much memory is in the pix 515e unit that we bought but our network person has not gotten to install yet. Presently, there are two cards installed and I want to make sure that we have 128 and not 64 so we can upgrade the software. The ram chips have 4 memory modules on them and I was wondering if you could tell me by me giving you that information whether they are 64 or 128 each. Here are some numbers that may help us determine the size. Here are a few pics as well.

SMART PFC104071613 SM564043574N63JMFO Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Reply to
fatlobsterman
Loading thread data ...

I don't personally recognize the physical description or the part numbers (and neither does Google). Just power up the Pix and do a "show version". That's the easiest way to tell. Also, if you're planning on running an Unrestricted license then you'll need 256MB.

J
Reply to
J

I have 2 pix- one is a 515e-UR and the other is 515e-FO. I don't even know how to get into the pix. I have it hooked up to my PC but I am clueless when it comes to these. Is there a place where I can go or could you possibly help me get it to get that information. I was told that I have to set up the same ips and telnet but again, I'm clueless when it comes to this but I do know my way around PCs very well just to give you an idea of my knowledge.

thanks

Reply to
fatlobsterman

I think that I am logged in b/c hypertermal is saying I'm connected- I used the serial to rj45 to the console on the back- I used com 3 is that alright? maybe it is since I am connected but I tried shpow version in the hyperterminal window and nothing happens

Reply to
fatlobsterman

I think that I am logged in b/c hypertermal is saying I'm connected- I used the serial to rj45 to the console on the back- I used com 3 is that alright? maybe it is since I am connected but I tried shpow version in the hyperterminal window and nothing happens

Reply to
fatlobsterman

Honestly I don't know if I could walk you through this. Connecting to the console could be an all day speaking event for some people. Do you have the right cable, a serial port or USB adapter, and DB9 adapter if applicable? What COM port are you on. Are you using the 9600 8N1 settings? Do you know the password for the device? Do you have the necessary file to attempt password recovery? There are too many unknowns for me to be of any real assistance. I googled for "cisco console howto" and found a few useful hits.

formatting link
Setting up a Pix is certainly not a trivial manner. I recommend finding a person qualified to take on the task. I could write a book on nothing but Pix basics and still not cover everything you should know. Someone else may be able to provide better input than I. Best of luck.

J
Reply to
J

I agree with J ... finding a qualified person to do the job. This is 'security' you're talking about and you don't always get a second chance. Once you get into the pix how do you know you'll interpret what you see correctly?

I admire your determination but I wouldn't be letting anyone that can't do what you're trying to do anywhere near my pix. Don't you pay your network 'guy' to do this stuff? if you want to learn I suggest you watch over his shoulder.

My 2c worth.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

I agree with J ... finding a qualified person to do the job. This is 'security' you're talking about and you don't always get a second chance. Once you get into the pix how do you know you'll interpret what you see correctly?

I admire your determination but I wouldn't be letting anyone that can't do what you're trying to do anywhere near my pix. Don't you pay your network 'guy' to do this stuff? if you want to learn I suggest you watch over his shoulder.

My 2c worth.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.