ME 3400 and Wavelength

Ok, so this is a weird question... Cogent is trying to sell me some bandwidth, but I think their sales people are lying to me.

My datacenter actually provides them with the colo they use to light my the building I am in. All they have a single ME 3400, with two pairs of fiber, ring entrance, and ring exit.

My assumption was the entire ring is running at 2Gbps (full-duplex), which causes concern, because thats alot of people sharing 2Gbps, especially if a few of them are large users/bursters.

The sales rep said that they peel of a separate wavelength for each building, (6 buildings on the ring), so my building gets a dedicated

2Gbps. My initial thought though was the ME 3400 was not CWDM, so what he is saying is not possible given the hardware they use. Is this accurate? Or can the ME 3400 do multiple wavelength like he is saying?

Thanks John

Reply to
essenz
Loading thread data ...

No, not any different than any other ethernet gear, but since CWDM is passive, the add-drop gear can really be anywhere. They could have even burried it in the manhole.

drop out on the ring into the building. Put the right optics on the SFP in the switch. Away they go, no more thought to it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.