mapping IPs

I have a number of nodes on a lan served by a 2900 switch and

2600 router. Most of these nodes have both routable and non-routable ip in the 10.x.x.x range. The router is, of course, the gateway and has a routable IP. Is it possible with either the switch or the router to recognize and associate a non-routable IP with the routable IP of the router? If so, how would I go about this? Tom
Reply to
Tom Linden
Loading thread data ...

Tom, I believe what you mean to say by "routable" and "non-routable" is that the router has both private (RFC: 1918) and public address on it.

In that case, what you're looking for is NAT. Here's one way to do this: 1. Configure the interface that has the private address as the "inside" interface. 2. Configure the other interface (the one that has the public address) as the outside interface. 3. Create an ACL that identifies what "inside" addresses should be translated to the "outside" address. 4. Assosiate that ACL with a NAT statement that causes the router to perform the NAT

=========================== Here's a configuration EXAMPLE: ===========================

interface FastEthernet0/0 description OUTSIDE INTERFACE TO THE INTERNET ip address 12.12.12.1 255.255.255.252 !

Reply to
J.Cottingim

Thanks, this is not an area in which I have a lot of familiarity. I have a spare router that I can test it out on, and following your advice I did the first part, but ran into trouble on inside part.

csco(config)#int eth 0/0 csco(config-if)#description OUTSIDE INTERFACE TO THE INTERNET csco(config-if)#ip address 206.55.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.240 csco(config-if)#ip access-group 101 in csco(config-if)#no ip unreachables csco(config-if)#no cdp enable csco(config-if)#ip nat outside csco(config-if)#exit csco(config)#int eth 0/1 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Reply to
Tom Linden

I should have added that on this router there is no FastEthernet option but on the other there is. How is it enabled?

Reply to
Tom Linden

Please ignore. I thought the two routers were identical one is 2620 which has Fast and the other is 2610 which doesn't say 10/100 ethernet 0/0 only ethernet

0/0

n Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:48:06 -0800, Tom L> I should have added that on this router there is no FastEthernet option

Reply to
Tom Linden

I bought Fast ethernet module off ebay, 1FE-TX, in order to configure the inside IP's but it seems the router is not recognizing it.

Thw diodes on both the router and the 2600 switch look happy, but when I try to configure the interface, it isn't recognized.

csco(config)#int fastEthernet 0/? FastEthernet interface number

csco(config)#int fastEthernet 0/1 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

any ideas?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden

The NM-1FE-TX is not supported on the 2600, or at least wasn't through several generations of documentation. See Table 2 of

formatting link

My memory is that there was a route to Fast Ethernet on the 2600 by using a WIC on an NM-1E2W, but the table I just referred to indicates that is not an option.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

your NM-1FE-TX may be defective

try using the s"show diag 1" ommand to check

Here is the output from one of my 2600's that has a NM-1FE-TX

MERV1#sh diag 1 Slot 1: Fast-ethernet Port adapter, 1 port Port adapter is analyzed Port adapter insertion time unknown EEPROM contents at hardware discovery: Hardware revision 1.0 Board revision H0 Serial number 25207545 Part number 800-03490-02 FRU Part Number: NM-1FE-TX=

Test history 0x0 RMA number 00-00-00 EEPROM format version 1 EEPROM contents (hex): 0x00: 01 44 01 00 01 80 A2 F9 50 0D A2 02 00 00 00 00 0x10: 88 00 00 00 01 03 06 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Reply to
Merv

Forgot, on my 2600 I am running 12.3(12a) with 64 M of memory and 16 M of flash memory

System image file is "flash:c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-12a.bin"

Reply to
Merv

In IOS configuration mode you can you remove a command by placing no in front, so

enable conf t no ip name-server 206.55.237.3 no ip name-server 206.55.237.4 ip name server

There are global commands, interface commands and routing process commands

The "ip nameserver" command is an example of a global command

int eth 0/0 description OUTSIDE INTERFACE TO THE INTERNET ip address 206.55.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.240 ip access-group 101 in no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp no ip redirects no cdp enable ip nat outside exit

int fa 1/0 description INSIDE INTERFACE ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside exit

logging buffer 10000 debug no logging console

Reply to
Merv

Actually it does see it, I thought the syntax was Fastethernet 0/portnumber instead of vice-versa. Thanks.

BTW, when I did a SHOW CONFIG I noticed that the nameservers listed are no longer used since i now run my own on a VMS box

ip subnet-zero ip name-server 206.55.237.3 ip name-server 206.55.237.4

so do I just reissue those commands with the correct IPs? Since I am going to use the 10.0.0.x range on the new port could I not also use that as the address since the name servers recognize both sets

It seems I must do it twice, once for each interface using 206. range for

0/0 and 10. range for 1/0 Is that correct?
Reply to
Tom Linden
  1. You would need a SmartNet support contract with Cisco or a Cisco distributor for your 2600

1. You would need to max out both main memory(64MB) and flash memory (16 MB)

Reply to
Merv

I am currently at 12.0 how would I upgrade it to latest and can I do it with

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
Reply to
Tom Linden

Googling I discovered that third pareties are selling SmartNet, any recommendations? I was hoping to find a table on the Cisco site where you input your device and it tells you what SmartNet costs.

Reply to
Tom Linden

I am Canada so hard to say

checkout

formatting link
for Smartnet pricing

Reply to
Merv

There -is- such a feature, but it gives undiscounted prices.

formatting link
scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on "Login to SCC". When prompted, log in with your regular support contract username and password. Then, on the tab across the top, click on "PRICING & AVAILABILITY".

On the page that appears, select the service level (e.g., 24x7x4), and the country. If you are selecting anything other than NBD (Next Business Day) then if you are in Canada or USA, be sure to enter your location details, or else the tool will complain.

Below the location details, put in the product code and the date range.

There is a lookup tool if you do not know the magic product code. Unfortunately the lookup tool can be somewhat dense at times; you might have to phrase your search in a number of different ways for it to find your product.

Cisco *does* sell contracts for arbitrary periods -- you could buy

217 days of support from them if you had reason to. Random quotes you get from the online stores will almost always be for 1 year, sometimes 3 years; a Silver partner should be able to get an arbitrary-period quote for you, but in my experience it takes a Gold partner to generate such a quote directly.

If I understand correctly, if you are a Gold or Silver partner, or a big company that buys from Cisco directly, then the prices quoted by the SCC tool will reflect your Cisco discounts. The prices will seldom, however, reflect any government or academic discounts you might be entitled to, and you can often get *much* better pricing by going to a Gold or Silver partner. All authorized Cisco VARs get some level of discount, but they vary in how much of that discount they will pass on to you. The occasional VAR will slap their regular markup on top of the

-undiscounted- price, resulting in a quote that is more expensive than if you bought from Cisco directly with no discount!

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Actually very small company. It probably is cheaper to have cold standby's and access to a knowledgeable group like this.

Reply to
Tom Linden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.