MAC address table help

Hello all, I am looking for a way to dump the output of the following command to a SQL database, or at least a text file,

show mac-address-table dynamic

My ultimate goal is to then take this data and incorporate it with our inventory system to help keep track of computers and multiple vlans that seem to be changing daily. Unfortunatly my skills with a Cisco switch are not that up to snuff. Any help as to the best way to do this or if it can be done would be a HUGE help, thanks in advance.

Reply to
spg
Loading thread data ...

Oh, I should mention this is on a catalyst 6513.

Reply to
spg

You may want to investigate how Netdisco does it... it's open source.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
mcaissie

You could use something like 'Expect' to automate a login, run the command and output to a text file ... ...

formatting link
We used this to periodically login to our 6513 and run "show processes cpu" command to determine what process/s were causing high utilisation ... very simple and effective. The only concern is from a security perspective ... for the login process you need to add the username and password to the script files.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

I might add .. we ran the unix version under Linux and had it poll the switch every 5 seconds. We had it write the results to a new file each time but coupled with different 'grep' statements etc. we could be very specific with what we pulled from the output ie. only report on those processes > than 'x' % utilisation etc.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Correction to last post .... we had it poll every 30 sec.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

You should look at my recent post about NeDi, which will help you keep track of where all your users are connected on your network. NeDi is amazingly useful, we cannot imagine going back to doing this the old-fashioned way.

NeDi

formatting link
Tristan Rhodes

spg wrote:

Reply to
tristan.rhodes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.