ISDN interfaces in North America

Is it possible to connect an ISDN router with an S/T interface to the carrier network without an external NT1? From some reading I've done it sounds like it's possible, you just lose the capability of using multiple devices. In this case we're only using one device, so that would be fine.

Reply to
captainx0r
Loading thread data ...

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

If I remember right it is not possible because you can't connect an S/T device directly to an U reference point.

Reference Points should be something like this: (Device)- S ----NT2----> T ------NT1------> U-(ISDN Switch) So I think you need an NT1

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

How would you account for it going from 4 wires down to 2 wires?

The answer would be not possible, you have an to have an NT1 somewhere.

Maybe you can get an S/T handoff from something like an inhouse PBX, but in general, you'll only get the 2-wire U handoff from a telco in North America.

What's wrong with having an external NT1 interface? You don't have to have it right in the same room..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.