Is routersim good for testing router config in the real world?

I have a simple network 4 2621's for various uses and a PIX firewall at the gates. I have in the past just kept a couple extra routers around so I could test configs/commands before pulling the trigger. I currently only have one spare and need to make a change on each side of a T1. I just want to make sure I've got my commands down before doing it, because it's a 30 minute drive to each side and I have no help. I was looking around and it looks like for 250, this routersim software will allow me to program 2 2621's and test router across them. Is that correct or is there a better software for the roughly the same amount of cash. It's the company money, but I would feel guilty turning in $1000 bill to save a few miles. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
jfalken
Loading thread data ...

The approach I use in this situation is to use the "in" option on the reload command

1. type "reload in 30" ! reload router in 30 minutes if not cancelled
  2. make config changes
  3. test

1. type "reload cancel"

So if something goes wrong the router reloads and the changes are negated because they are not in the startup-config

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.