iPad printing over wireless

We've got a situation where we're getting in new iPads on our network and w= ant to be able to print from them. We've got them connecting to our wireles= s network without a problem. In order to get printing working, we've got a = laptop running software called Fingerprint which shares a printer connected= to the wired LAN. The laptop is connected wirelessly to the same access po= int as the iPad and is in the same vlan.=20

The problem is that the iPad is not seeing the shared pritner. From the res= earch I've done, it looks like it might be a problem with multicast, but I'= m not sure how to enable it. The access point in question is a Cisco 1231, = and is connected through a Cisco 3550 switch to the rest of the network. Ca= n someone help me figure out how to get printing to work? We've had a simil= ar situation at a remote site, but that site was using a WLC and it was eas= y to enable there.

Thank you!

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

Hey there, I can confirm it is definitely Broadcast you will need. The iPad= s and the Printing Software will use the equivalent of the Bonjour service,= if not it itself, and that is why you need to BC capability. Not sure how = to do it on an Autonomous device, but that's how we got it working on the W= LCs we have. Spent a month getting it to work in our offices! Mare of note!= Sooooo NOT ready for Enterprise are iPads!!! :(

Check the Cisco site for enabling BC on the APs, or try the Cisco Support F= orum.

Good luck.=20

want to be able to print from them. We've got them connecting to our wirel= ess network without a problem. In order to get printing working, we've got = a laptop running software called Fingerprint which shares a printer connect= ed to the wired LAN. The laptop is connected wirelessly to the same access = point as the iPad and is in the same vlan.=20

esearch I've done, it looks like it might be a problem with multicast, but = I'm not sure how to enable it. The access point in question is a Cisco 1231= , and is connected through a Cisco 3550 switch to the rest of the network. = Can someone help me figure out how to get printing to work? We've had a sim= ilar situation at a remote site, but that site was using a WLC and it was e= asy to enable there.

Reply to
Richard Westby-Nunn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.