IP Helper-address & ICMP port unreachable

Hi,

I am confguring a 6500 with IP helper-address.. done it before on

5500's thousands of times.. no bother.. except this 6500 is sending an ICMP port unreachable to my DHCP server on the Offer!!!??

Why?

I thought if it caches the helper bootp request it should recognise the offer coming back!?

It is some funky ARP inspection thing (I switched it all off)..

Its a base config with secondaries on both interfaces (Vlan 2 & Vlan 3) and a helper address... thats it!

Any ideas?!

Reply to
traust
Loading thread data ...

do you run proxy ARP ? Does all your SVI's have the ip helper command ? (Interface Vlan 1, Interface vlan 2 etc) Are there any ACL's ?

Can you drop the config snip-let ? Do you mean standby=secondaries or IP ? HTH Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Hi.. Yes secondaries.. many of them...

I have come a lot further.. I notice that the relay helper is pushing the requests forward with Src and St prt set at 67 but my server is replying back on 68... hence the port unreachable..

But it still leaves me the quetion that in the field is this still going to be a problem... will I have to PAT the replies in these instances.. does anyone know a good DHCP server that reponds correctly?!

Found this excellent link..

formatting link
but it still doesnt tell you the solution..

Reply to
traust

Well, some DHCP servers will respond on udp/67 with reply on udp/67 or udp/68 It is a setup/config problem at your DHCP server.

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Are you, by any chance, setting an IP helper on an interface that is in the same subnet as the DHCP server ?

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.