IOS Planner, plug in what you have see what is available?

Is there a place on Cisco's Site where I can plug in the model and memory of my unit and it will tall me what I can upgrade to?

I have a few old routers that I wanted to get up to speed, though didn't want to spend a lot on memory upgrades. Would be nice to plug in the memory I have for the unit and have it tell me what is available for it.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend
Loading thread data ...

No. You can't plug in what memory you have. Experience gives you a good gauge about it. Ie. If you see you don't have enough memory for the base level, back down a minor level (ie. 12.3 to 12.2) and try again.

Memory for older routers isn't all that bad from 3rd party vendors. If you are too far out of memory requirements for the base level, then you probably have a really old router.

Of course, once you get to the feature-full T trains or huge feature sets, you had better be maxed-out on RAM/Flash even for the newest routers.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thank you for your reply.

I guess I could look for RAM for the units. Yes some are pretty old, like the 4500-m. (should I mention I have a 4000 on the shelf?)

All the routers are working fine, I just thought I'd get them up to something close. A few are runing v10.x THe Images I've looked are are all much bigger then what I have. I've gone to the 'library' archive and many of them are all too big too... )-:

Thanks again.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Yes, those are pretty ancient routers.

But, the DRAM memory for them shold be dirt cheap. Flash not so much.

Ie. your 4500M can take 64M, and that kit is $40 from MemoryX. But, the 16M Flash SIMM is $100 each if you want to get two to max it out. You probably have enough shared memory already.

Overall, $240 isn't that bad to upgrade memory, especially compared to what Cisco used to charge for the upgrades.

You could upgrade your 4000 even if you wanted.

But, the returns on any of this is questionable. I'd say that something a bit more modern would do you better if you wanted to learn newer cisco tech. Ie. I don't plan on upgrading my 7000 any time soon :)

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.