Internet to a 2611 through a Linksys WRT54G

Hello I am trying to configure a Cisco 2611 router to connect to the internet using a Linksys WRT54G as a border router. The reason I would like to keep the linksys router on the outside of the Cisco router is to prevent wireless clients from accessing my internal network but allow them access to the internet. When I use the Config posted below I am able to ping both interfaces on the 2611, and both interfaces on the Linksys router out to the external interface but I am not able to get out to the internet. I am some what new to Cisco routers so any help with the Config would be much appreciated.

The internal network IP is 192.168.x The network in between the Cisco router and Linksys router is 10.2.3.x with the internal interface on the Linksys router being 10.2.3.1 and the external interface on the Cisco router being 10.2.3.5 The internet connection has a DHCP assigned address

Using 896 out of 29688 bytes ! version 12.3 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log daletime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! ! no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero ip cef ! ! ! ip audit po max-events 100 ! ! interface Ethernet0/0 description WAN ip address 10.2.3.5 255.255.255.0 ip nat outside full-duplex ! interface Ethernet0/1 description LAN ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside full-duplex ! ip nat pool crossbones 10.2.3.1 10.2.3.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside source list 7 pool crossbones overload ip http server no ip http secure-server ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0 ! ! access-list 7 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 access-list 7 permit 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit ! !

line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 login ! ! end

Reply to
tony.dixson
Loading thread data ...

Do you have a route to the inside (192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0) network on the Linksys?

James

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
James

Sorry ignore that you are NATing on the 2600.

What happens if you change the default route on the 2600 to:-

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.2.3.1

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
James

Yes, I would agree with James that you first should look at the default route and use a next hop as opposed to an interface (e0/0). Interface in my experience should only be used on point-to-point links not multiaccess links like what you have in this case (ethernet). In addition to this, do you need to have an address pool for your NATing if you are overloading? Could you not just use the "interface" keyword so that all devices behind the 2600 at NATed to the IP of the external

2600 interface. Could test this by putting a computer on the network between th 2600 and Linksys and set up a web server on it. See if you can browse this serve then atleast. This will test your NATing, and client default gateways etc are correct.

James wrote:

Reply to
VeeDub

what are you NATing on the 2600 ?

Reply to
Merv

I have several workstations behind the 2600, I also have a web server that I will be using for personal use, but would like to get to it from the internet as well as RDP on that server. My plan is also to use NAT and access lists to allow only my wifes and my laptop wireless access back through the 2600 to access our internal resources, but I would like all other wireless clients to only have access to the internet; however for now if I can just get internet up I would be happy. I am able to access the internet with my wireless clients who connect directly to the Linksys. I can also get to the web page that is served by the linksys router for configuration from behind the 2600. I will try changing the default route tonigt to see if that helps. I have several docs for setting up a 2600 to connect to the internet through a cable modem, all of them differ a bit but none of them have a NAT pool configured. Thanks for giving me some idea's on this.

Reply to
tony.dixson

AFAIK the Linksys WRT54G is capable of perform dynamic routing ( needs to be enabled) so I would try that out.

It undoubleted use RIP

so config RIP routing on the 2611 config t router rip network 10.0.0.0 end

wri mem

Then disable NAT on 2611 and see if WRT54G will perform NAT based on dynamically learned networks ie your LAN behind teh 2611. If so then you will not need to configure NAT on 2611 which would result in double NATting

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.