Internal Power Supply for Catalyst 2960

Hello,

The internal power supply on my 2960 has blown and I need a new one. I've asked the TAC for a part number and they say there isn't such a beast and I should contact my local distributor. The distributor are asking £350 to fix the switch which is excessive. Normally there is a label on the sheet metal case with the manufacturers part number so you can obtain a power supply without the 1000% mark up, but my supply doesn't have one. Does anyone have a 2960 to hand to inspect the manufacturers part number or perhaps you know which power supply is required for the 2960? Thanks in advance.

JC

Reply to
John Christie
Loading thread data ...

The 2960 has a lifetime warranty on it. Why isn't Cisco replacing it?

Reply to
Brian V

I bought it second hand.

JC

Reply to
John Christie

Yeah, part of the value of buying new from a cisco reseller..

Get a Smartnet contract on it from a webstore that will just take in the serial # and get it fixed then?

Depending on the model, the price can be fairly low. CDW lists one model as being $60 (CON-SNT-C29608C). It is important to match up the exact model number (best done by serial #) with the contract you need.

FWIW: in my experience in trying to do what you are, finding some other power supply sourced directly from the manufactorer, or one of the main distributers (ie. Digikey/Arrow/Newark, etc), is the one that the OEM used is usually no longer available, or the price is so absurdly expensive to buy a one-off that its not worth it, even if you can even attempt to find somebody that carries that particular vendor.

Cisco is big enough that they might have them custom made just for their needs rather than off-the-shelf parts that some smaller company might use.

Otherwise buy another off eBay, the 2960's are fairly cheap for cisco gear.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

As far as I know, the lifetime warranty does not expire because you purchased it second hand. We have purchase several hundred 2924's on the secondary market over the years and sent them to Cisco for replacement when they failed. (This may have changed with the newer switches.) Another avenue is to call ask about a flatrate replacement. On many low end Cisco devices, we do not purchase support because Cisco offers a flat-rate replacement cost which is pretty cheap, and certainly less than the price you were quoted. I'm pretty sure the price your reseller quoted you is for a 1-year service contract.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.