installing a VMWare ESXi connected to a Cisco 6500 at Gigabit?

Hello,

I have been trying to place a VMWare ESXi Server on a portchannel port connected at Gigabit.

The Server is a IBM eSeries, with 2 Gigabit Ethernet, and is connected to a Cisco 6500 with a 48 GigabitRthernet Module.

All other configurations I have work fine, and the servers worked on Gigabit nicely when they had Windows installed on them, so I do think it really is a ESXi problem

(I tried both in auto-negotiation and forced speeds... works fine at 100Mb, doesn't go up on Gigabit...)

Has anyone had trouble with installing ESXi and the ports not working on Gigabit?

Thanks,

Nuno

Reply to
Alael
Loading thread data ...

You do know that GBE uses all 4 pairs in a CAT5/6/whatever cable while lower speeds only use

2 pairs? Maybe you have a duff cable?
Reply to
bod43

Yep... I checked that already, and it does happen on all 4 of the ports I'm trying to configure... :(

I'm wondering if it«s possible that somehow the ESXi only lets the ports go up on 100...

I also tried to uplink one of them to a ASA 5000 port, and it behaved the same way... and with the same cables, with Windows 2003 Server it went up fine at Gigabit... :(

I'm really starting to think it's a ESXi problem.. will probably have to check it better next week... :/

Thanks for the tip though :)

Nuno

You do know that GBE uses all 4 pairs in a CAT5/6/whatever cable while lower speeds only use

2 pairs? Maybe you have a duff cable?
Reply to
Nuno Silva

Nuno, ESXi fully supports Gigabit Ethernet (and 10 Gigabit Ethernet), so I doubt that the problem lies with ESXi. I personally have done it more times than I can count with a variety of servers and switches.

Have you checked the Hardware Compatibility List for VMware ESXi against the hardware that's in your server?

Reply to
Scott Lowe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.