Inexpensive GigE Copper Switch

I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot of money.)

I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I give up IOS and go with another vendor?

Reply to
bobneworleans
Loading thread data ...

The wise snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com enlightened me with:

For simple layer2 work, I'd say: go with HP Procurve. Decent CLI, decent prices. if you want it to do anything complex: stick to other stuff :-) (just my 5 eurocent)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Huizer

Thats just about the perfect match to Cisco's cheapest catalyst switch, the WS-C2960G-8TC-L $1395 list (which nobody pays, but its a base start, looks like some really deap discounts for this one).

8-ports of copper GigE on a managed layer-2 switch. They also have a 24-port and 48-port in this series, a bit cheaper per-port cost, but still up there ($137/$124).

If you need to go cheaper, Cisco Small-Business (ie. linksys moving up into the Cisco name product line), has the SRW2008 for alot less. This one is going to be "web managed", but I don't know what your definition of managed is. In general, web managed doesn't have SNMP, but I haven't used this one (but have other vendors "web managed" ones).

I like the Dell switches for cheap, managed gig switches. They OEM them from somewhere, but they've been pretty solid for us overall.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I've found the web interfaces on SRW2xxx to be seriously unimpressive: ugly, clunky and IE-only. Not impressive for a switch made in 2010.

Marvell I reckon, same place that the CSB SFE2xxx switches come from [check the CLI, it's identical].

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.