HSRP and GLBP

Can I have both HSRP and GLBP configured on ethernet interfaces between two routers, with different vitual IP addresses, one for HSRP and one for GLBP?

Thanks!

Reply to
Drx
Loading thread data ...

What are you trying achieve with such a config? Since GLBP and HSRP have similar functionality, it is not clear when configuring both would be useful. Also, for hosts on the LAN where you have this pair of routers, what you configure as the default gateway? Will it be the HSRP virtual IP address or will it be the GLBP virtual IP address?

Having said that, I think if you configured GLBP and HSRP together, it would probably work fine together. Just that I see no value in configuring them at the same time time on the same routers.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

well I want to use GLBP load balancing features, but only for certain hosts, not all network. So I guess I could use HSRP for parts of network where I do not need LB or cannot/do not want rely on routing LB, but for some other parts of network I could use GLBP LB possibilities.

Reply to
no

OK.

Though I could not see why HSRP and GLBP would not work correctly if configured simultaneously on the same interface, I decided to do a quick test on my lab routers. I found that it does work fine and so you should be fine to run the two together.

I had some basic config like the following for the test -

interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.169.0.3 255.255.255.0 no keepalive standby 2 ip 192.169.0.254 standby 2 priority 150 standby 2 preempt glbp 10 ip 192.169.0.253

Everything worked fine before and after a switchover.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

ok, thanks for effort :-)))))))))))) btw you have GREAT alias, ciscodagama :-)))))) LOL

Reply to
Drx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.