High failure rate of c3550-48's

I just lost my third c3550 in only 3 months. I have a total of about 18 of them, all purchased in May of '03. This is a failure rate exceeding 15%. Not good at all.

Cisco has replaced the first two under warranty, and I have no reason to believe they won't do so for the third. But, this is getting old.

The symptom is dead power supply. This third one was even in a different building, so no common failure points. Both network closets are relatively cool. (certainly compared to others I have that sit at 85 degrees).

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Roger Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA

Reply to
wa6zvp
Loading thread data ...

Hi Roger,

Have you check Cisco Partner's Field notice? Are the switches in question having some sort of stuff in commons? like Serial# etc,,,? Are they directly connected to the RPS or to power point?

Cheers, CC

Reply to
cc

I put 8 of these in around the same time, no problems still working great.

If the buildings are close together you still have a common point of failure, your electric provider. Are these on a good UPS?

Reply to
RC

Hi Roger,

This is a "common problem" with both the 24s and 48s.

We fix alot of these switches.

Contact Reggie Grant directly should you have a problem with Cisco.

Toll Free 877-549-2680 or 828-277-7272

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com=AE Cisco Repair Worldwide Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

• I wish you continued success.
  • 2 of the three were in the same closet. I had thought maybe something in common. But the third was a ways away.

Well, all the switches are on RM APC UPS's, fed from the generator backup circuit, fed from 4160 v. distribution on campus, fed from 66 Kv So. Cal. Edison circuit. The generator has not run in some time, and certainly wasn't at time of failure. (although these have all been tested and run fine on the generator when need be.). Humm, just remembered that the closet with the two failed units is _not_ on generator backup, so take that out of the equation.

I should add that there is lots of other gear in these closets as well. Cat 4006, 3com SS3300's, and some Dell servers. The only failures in 5+ years have been these 3550's.

I haven't compared the serial numbers, but since they were all together, they likely all came from the same mfr. lot.

Cheers, Roger, Harvey Mudd College

==========

Reply to
wa6zvp

I have about 40 or 50 of these throughout the network, and have not seen any significant issues with bad power supplies (we have 25 or so in one building.) Every piece of network equipment is on some kind of UPS to help regulate any power irregularities. because power supply failures is by far the number one reason we have to replace equipment (over 95%!). We have found that UPS's increase the MTBF of the power supplies pretty significantly.

Having 3 go in a short period of time like this is unusual. When you open the TAC case to replace this one, I would make a point to let the TAC know this is the third failure in the last 3 months from the SAME equipment order.

Scott

Reply to
thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.