Help with configuring cisco 831 router

I am a hobbyst with a cisco router. I would like to ask for help in configuring my cisco 831 router so i can hook 4 computers to the internet. Right now i have a cable dsl modem hooked up but i would like to have other computers run off the one connection. For now i dont care about networking the computers together. I just care about having all the computers have internet access.

And regarding firewalls i have a software one so i dont care about that just yet either...

Andrew

Reply to
northstar1805
Loading thread data ...

Yes, its been a few years since i worked with routers and did any kind of this work but yes. I looked online to recal what to do. I connected a cable and i can get to enable mode.

Now its just a matter of entering the right commands and ip addresses i think.

Andrew

John wrote:

Reply to
northstar1805

Hi Andrew,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco 831 Router Software Configuration Guide:

formatting link
Hope this helps,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Are you able to connect a console cable to the router?

Reply to
John

Once your in "enable" mode, type "config t" to get in to "config mode". Once there, paste in the following text:

ip subnet-zero ! ip dhcp pool DHCP import all network 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 172.16.2.1 lease infinite ! interface Ethernet0 description Internal LAN ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0 ! interface Ethernet1 description Internet ip address dhcp ! ip classless ! ip nat inside source list 100 interface Ethernet1 overload ! access-list 100 permit ip any any

Reply to
John

John, Say....now some code...that helps alot! thanks....

ip subnet-zero ! ip dhcp pool DHCP import all network 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0

Reply to
northstar1805

Brad, Hey, thanks for the info. I found that poking around the cisco website....But some code snippets help alot too. I am like a person who has a hammer and saw but cant build a house.

I have a few questions?

What kind of connection does a typical DSL provider give? i thought it was ppp or in this case does it matter? For me i want to use my cable DSL connection to share with 4 PC's.

Andrew

Reply to
northstar1805

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.