HDLC Vs PPP

what are the major differences between HDLC and PPP? How are they mainly used?

Reply to
answers
Loading thread data ...

And forgot to mention...what are the differences between PPP and Frame relay ?

Reply to
answers

Perhaps you could post the results of your own research so far and then we can comment

Reply to
Merv

PPP and Frame Relay both are l2 protocols. I know about PPP, about CHAP etc. I know a few things about FR also..Like the packets are broken down into frames and transmitted, and about DLCIs.. But I am not able to get the exact differences between PPP and Frame Relay..

Reply to
answers

HDLC is used on point-to-pont serial links suc as T1s, DS3 and now Packet-over-SONET (POS). It has a low overhead in terms of the additional bytes required over and above the layer 3 payload. There is no authentication protocol for HDLC.

PPP was and is heavily used in async dial-up and provide for authentication using PAP or CHAP protocol. Now there is also PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).

A variation of PPP known as multi-link PPP (MLPPP) is quite popular for loading balancing parallet circuit like T1's.

Reply to
Merv

PPP and Cisco HDLC has the *same* amount of overhead. PPP is the more modern and probably better maintained protocol. PPP is also heavily used on point-to-pont links.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, snipped-for-privacy@nethelp.no

Reply to
Steinar Haug

I thought PPP has a 2 byte protocol field in addition to the flag, control and address fields

Reply to
Merv

Yes, so does Cisco HDLC. See

formatting link
for a description of the format.

Reply to
Steinar Haug

If you ever want to run VoIP over your data networks always run PPP or Frame Relay. HDLC does not handle fragmentation well, jitter can be controlled and is more predictable with PPP and Frame Relay .

James

Ste> > I thought PPP has a 2 byte protocol field in addition to the flag,

Reply to
James

Um, Cisco HDLC does not handle fragmentation *at all* - but that's okay as long as IP does it. If you want your link layer protocol to handle fragmentation I agree that PPP may be a better choice.

On the other hand, for basic, non-fragmented packets PPP, Cisco HDLC and Frame Relay all give you mostly the same functionality (with the addition of an extra multiplexing field, the DLCI, for Frame Relay).

Reply to
Steinar Haug

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.