Hardware config question

Hello,

I've never been very good at navigating the maze of hardware / software options available with cisco routers.... was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a cisco 2620 router on the shelf that I'd like to play around with as a voice gateway. At the moment I simply want to connect a POTS line, set up a dial peer & test. Nothing fancy. I have a call manager in place that will send calls to the router over the LAN, so I don't need FXS cards for phones / etc.

The router is running "IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version

12.2(2)XT" w/ 16MB of flash.

Based on what I've read, I think I need to order a VIC2-2FXO to connect the POTS line. Is that correct? If not, what should I order for this router. Also, are there any other hardware requirements? I'm confused as to whether I need to order a DSP card?

Any guidance appreciated!

Bill

Reply to
lonesomecowboybill92
Loading thread data ...

You'll need a VOIP version of IOS. You don't post your DRAM, but generally the VOIP versions tend to require a maxed out box on DRAM and Flash.

You need something to stick the VIC into. The 2620 only has WIC slots, not dual VIC/WIC like the newer boxes have. The NM-2V is probably what you want. This has a DSP on it. I'm not sure if the VIC2-2FXO and the NM-2V are compatible, you'd want to check first. When dealing with older EOL hardware, you probably want to stick with the older cards to go into it. NM-2V & VIC-2FXO should be fairly cheap on eBay.

Obviously, you'll need the single NM bay free to stick the NM-2V into.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.