getting in

Hello, I'm new to the pix 515e. I want to determine how much memory, software installed, processor, etc. Is there a way or a place that I can go to help a computer literate but virgin to firealls person (me) so I can get walked through the process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
fatlobsterman
Loading thread data ...

Log on to the device. enable. Issue the command "show version". If I recall correctly, all of the information you asked for is given there.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

thanks for replying so wuickly. I don't even know how to do that. I have it hooked to my pc but I heard that I have to match ip addresses and telnet which is way beyong my knowledge. Is it a big deal to do all of this?

Reply to
fatlobsterman

In article , wrote: [PIX 515E]

Take the serial cable you got with the PIX 515E. Connect it to a serial port on your PC. Plug the RJ45 end into the "console" connection on the 515E. If you don't know which one that is, look at the diagram at

formatting link
Then on your PC, fire up Hyperterm and set it to use the appropriate COM port at 9600 8 N 1. Now press return in the Hyperterm window.

Alternately, follow the instructions in chapter 3 of the Quick Start Guide at

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

are you referring to using the pcterminal adapter with the rj45into the console like in figure 4-7?

Reply to
fatlobsterman

I think I may be in if that is the way that you were referring to. I used com3 with the other info you gave me and hyperterminal says connected but show version does nothering- what else can I do?\\

Reply to
fatlobsterman

In article , wrote: [PIX 515E]

I don't use googlegroups for actively reading postings (only when I am researching old postings), so your previous postings are not visible on my screen. It would therefore be appreciated if you would follow the Usenet convention of quoting enough of the previous conversation to establish the context of your remarks.

For example if you go back and re-read your message in isolation, you will see that there is no reference present as to what kind of device you are using -- that's why I stuck the "[PIX 515E]" in, to give back that necessary context.

You haven't provided any information about what kind of PC you are using or how it is set up, so I will have to make wild guesses here.

In most PCs that I have seen, COM3 is either not connected at all, or is a modem port; the standard serial ports that are connected are COM1 and COM2. On most laptops that I have seen, the standard serial ports are COM1 and COM3 with COM2 not present, and COM3 usually being a modem port. So, lacking further information, I would -suspect- that you have used the wrong COM port number and that if you are talking to anything, you are talking to a modem.

Reply to
Walter Roberson
[PIX 515E] In most PCs that I have seen, COM3 is either not connected at all, or is a modem port; the standard serial ports that are connected are COM1 and COM2. On most laptops that I have seen, the standard

Hi Walter I have one serial port on my PC so I used the pc connector then the rj45 cable out of there and into the console. I tried doing com1 setup, com 2 setup and com3. Which number com should I use?

The quick start guide says the hardware features 433 celeron processor,

64 mb for UR and FO pix systems which I have one of each. Is is safe to assume that I have at least that and all the other info that is listed like 16mb flash, etc.? I think also when I was trying to load software it said 6.3 which like the other stuff, is this probably what the system has?

These are brand new so hopefully it won't be a big deal to get in now that I may be somwhat setup. Is it a project to do the rest?

I really appreciate your assistance.

George

Reply to
fatlobsterman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.