Firmware upgrade for 1924 switch

Hello,

I have a 1924 switch that is currently running v5.34.

Catalyst 1900 - Firmware Configuration

-----------------System Information------------ FLASH: 1024K bytes V5.37 Upgrade status: No upgrade currently in progress.

--------------------Settings------------------ [S] Server: IP address of TFTP server 192.168.2.2 [F] Filename for firmware upgrades cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin [A] Accept upgrade transfer from other hosts Enabled

--------------------Actions------------------- [U] System XMODEM upgrade [D] Download test subsystem (XMODEM) [T] System TFTP upgrade [X] Exit to Main Menu

I have an upgrade firmware cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin but I'm having a terrible time getting it onto this switch. I have set up a tftp service on a system and tried fetching the firmware from the Cisco, I have tried putting the firmware on the Cisco from another system, and I have tried to send the file via xmodem using hyperterm. In each case, during the initial handshake, the connection is terminated. I have verified my tftp configuration on the other systems by sending files back and forth.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Rob

Reply to
Robert Ramsey
Loading thread data ...

Rob,

Can you post the output from the console? Would be helpful to see the messages when the termination takes place.

When you start the upgrade process on the switch do you also start the file transfer on the PC? The upgrade will time out if you don't do the latter.

V

Reply to
Voitec
****************************************************** Attempting to load firmware using cisco to get firmware off of tftp server ****************************************************** west 1% cu -s 9600 -l /dev/ttyd2 Connected

------------------------------------------------- Catalyst 1900 Management Console Copyright (c) Cisco Systems, Inc. 1993-1997 All rights reserved.

Ethernet address: 00-C0-1D-81-75-C5

-------------------------------------------------

1 user(s) now active on Management Console.

Press any key to continue.

Catalyst 1900 - Main Menu

[C] Console Password [S] System [N] Network Management [P] Port Configuration [A] Port Addressing [D] Port Statistics Detail [M] Monitoring [V] Virtual LAN [R] Multicast Registration [F] Firmware [I] RS-232 Interface [U] Usage Summaries [H] Help [X] Exit Management Console

Enter Selection: F

-----------------System Information------------ FLASH: 1024K bytes V5.37 Upgrade status: No upgrade currently in progress.

--------------------Settings------------------ [S] Server: IP address of TFTP server 192.168.2.1 [F] Filename for firmware upgrades cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin [A] Accept upgrade transfer from other hosts Enabled

--------------------Actions------------------- [U] System XMODEM upgrade [D] Download test subsystem (XMODEM) [T] System TFTP upgrade [X] Exit to Main Menu

Enter Selection: T

This upgrade will overwrite the firmware version V5.37 in FLASH memory.

AT THE END OF THE UPGRADE, THE SWITCH MAY NOT RESPOND TO COMMANDS FOR AS LONG AS ONE MINUTE. THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR AND DO NOT TURN SWITCH OFF DURING THAT TIME.

The TFTP protocol will be used to perform this firmware upgrade. This command requires the IP address of a TFTP server and the name of an upgrade file residing on that server. Use the following commands [S] Server: IP address of TFTP server, and [F] Filename for firmware upgrades to complete these requirements before starting the upgrade.

Do you wish to continue with the upgrade process, [Y]es or [N]o? Yes

TFTP transfer of cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin from server at 192.168.2.1 initiated...

********************Output from snoop command***************** 192.168.2.5 -> west TFTP Read "cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin" (octet) west -> 192.168.2.5 TFTP Data block 1 (512 bytes) 192.168.2.5 -> west TFTP Error: not defined ********************Output from snoop command*****************

--------------------Settings------------------ [S] Server: IP address of TFTP server 192.168.2.1 [F] Filename for firmware upgrades cat1900EN.9.00.07.bi [A] Accept upgrade transfer from other hosts Enabled

******************************************************** Attempting to load firmware using SGI to put firmware on Cisco using tftp ******************************************************** west 9% ls -la total 3588 drwxrwxrwx 2 root sys 62 May 28 21:16 . drwxr-xr-x 34 root sys 4096 May 30 18:43 ..

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 916480 May 28 21:12 cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin west 10% tftp tftp> connect 192.168.2.5 tftp> mode binary tftp> put cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin Error code 4: Illegal TFTP operation tftp> quit west 11%

********************Output from snoop command***************** west -> 192.168.2.5 TFTP Write "cat1900EN.9.00.07.bin" (octet) 192.168.2.5 -> west TFTP Ack block 0 west -> 192.168.2.5 TFTP Data block 1 (512 bytes) 192.168.2.5 -> west TFTP Error: illegal TFTP operation ********************Output from snoop command*****************

********************************************************************** Attempting to load firmware over xmodem using hypterterm connected to Cisco console port

********************************************************************** Catalyst 1900 - Main Menu [C] Console Password [S] System [N] Network Management [P] Port Configuration [A] Port Addressing [D] Port Statistics Detail [M] Monitoring [V] Virtual LAN [R] Multicast Registration [F] Firmware [I] RS-232 Interface [U] Usage Summaries [H] Help [X] Exit Management Console

Enter Selection: F

--------------------Settings------------------ [S] Server: IP address of TFTP server 192.168.2.1 [F] Filename for firmware upgrades cat1900EN.9.00.07.bi [A] Accept upgrade transfer from other hosts Enabled

Enter Selection: U

This upgrade will overwrite the firmware version V5.37 in FLASH memory.

AT THE END OF THE UPGRADE, THE SWITCH MAY NOT RESPOND TO COMMANDS FOR AS LONG AS ONE MINUTE. THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR AND DO NOT TURN SWITCH OFF DURING THAT TIME.

The XMODEM protocol will be used to perform this firmware upgrade. The user must initiate an XMODEM file transfer from the terminal side using an appropriate terminal application specific command.

Do you wish to continue with the upgrade process, [Y]es or [N]o? Yes Please initiate XMODEM transfer. Awaiting transfer...CCCCC XMODEM upgrade canceled: error(s) occurred during transfer.

Enter Selection:

******************End of Firmware attempts*******************

According to documentation I found on Cisco's website all of these should have worked. I have followed the proceedure described on Cisco's website and I have tested the tftp functionality between the SGI system (TFTP server/TFTP client) and a Win2k system (TFTP server/TFTP client).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob Ramsey

Reply to
Robert Ramsey

Rob,

Thanks for the output. Are you sure you are also starting the file transfer (ie. clicking on the SEND button) on your PC in HyperTerm when using XMODEM?

Looks like your switch is timing out waiting for the transfer to occur as the PC is not sending the file. Hence, the switch returns an error.

There are 2 parts to a firmware upgrade. i) You must prepare the switch to receive the transfer (which you've done) ii) You must start the file transfer on the PC when the switch starts listening for the transfer

Voitec

Reply to
Voitec

Hello,

Yea, I do the send file part in hyperterm and I was going to do a snapshot of the GUI but I can't post pictures in the newsgroup. Also, I tried the xmodem transfer using a program called CRT (similar to hypterterm) and it had similar results. Any ideas why this isn't working? You commented on the xmodem part, what about the tftp part?

Thanks,

Rob Ramsey

Reply to
Robert Ramsey

That does seem odd. I had a look at the docs and all seems OK in your process. Have you tried the firmware recovery methos mentioned in the "recovery console" (IIRC) section of the docs.

I wonder if the file might be corrupt? Perhaps there is a header in the file and it is damaged. The classic is to have done an ASCII mode ftp of the file between different types of system. So that I don't have to worry about that I always use http to download the files.

Cisco usually put MD5s of the files on the web or a simpler check would be the file length.

You SGI machine may have an md5 command or you can get them on the web.

################ C:\Program Files\Support Tools>which md5.exe c:\unixtools\md5.exe

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>md5 -h

MD5 -- Calculate MD5 signature of file. Call with md5 [ options ] [input [output]]

Options: -csig Check against sig, set exit status 0 = OK -dtext Compute signature of text argument -u Print this message

by John Walker --

formatting link
C:\Program Files\Support Tools>

John Walker is a co-founder of Autodesk Inc. and fourmilab is his personal web site. It has many things that I find interesting.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.