find out the throughput between two network nodes

Hi, Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:

1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
  2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec

Just wan to know if under no help ( no bandwidth tool -- IPERF and no workstation connected to the routers );

1. how can I find out the throughput between two WAN routers ? ( based on only the router IOS or interface statics )

Thanks a lot

Reply to
bensonlei
Loading thread data ...

It often depens a lot on the actual protocol you use between the endpoints, and the roundtriptime between the endpoints.

When your roundtriptime is quite large and your protocol is inefficient, you will never reach high bitrates no matter what your WAN link bandwidth is.

For example, when you use your WAN link to synchronize Windows roaming user profiles, it will always be slow. This is because a roaming profile is transferred as hundreds of very small files, and each file transfer requires several messages back and forth between the client and the server.

When you want to liik at the real speed, try to use FTP to transfer a large file. Most FTP tools will report the achieved speed. Make sure the setting of TCP Window is appropriate for your bandwidth and roundtriptime.

Reply to
Rob

Hi, thanks for your idea.

But my case is : I tested the speed of end points ( by the tool netCPS --- copying

100Mbytes file ), the link speed between end points across WAN link is round 1Mbits per second; while the link speed in LAN environment or at the edge router is around 10Mbits (they are expected speed ).

So we just want to find out the root cause of the WAN environment; roundtrip time is perfect (1/2/4) and traceroute =3D (4ms)...but just do not know how to test the throughput between these two edge router or the WAN link speed like the following illustration:

LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2

Tested cases (throughput test):

1. LAN1
2 LAN1 - EdageRouter1
  1. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )

Cases not yet tested:

1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
  2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2

If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2 and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how I get and througput testing ?

Thanks

Reply to
bensonlei

Some routers have ttcp in IOS so you could use that. Other than that - if wan link is Ethernet - pull out the routers, connect workstations on both ends and do netcps.

BR, A.C.

Reply to
Anonymous coward

Bingo ! Not the exact tool, but good enough ! Thanks so much, I have verified our routers support this tool !

Reply to
bensonlei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.