Filter Switch Port Traffic?

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am going to ask anyhow (I am a novice). If I have multiple switches plugged into the switch ports on the back of a Cisco 871 router, is it possible to filter the traffic that travels between these two ports? So, all of the computers on this hypothetical network would be on the same subnet, but hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.100 would be accessible from the switch attached to one of the Cisco switch ports and hosts with IP addresses from

192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 would be accessible from another switch attached to a different switch port on the Cisco router. Can the traffic between these two address ranges be filtered by the Cisco router? I do understand the typical way of doing this would be to utilize VLANs, but this requires the rather expensive "Advanced IP Services" IOS. Thanks.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent
Loading thread data ...

On switchports you can only filter based on MAC addresses, not IP addresses. I've never tried to do this on an 871 before, so I don't even know if VACLs (switchport ACLs) are supported. Not sure what you call "rather expensive" but "Advanced IP Services" for an 871 lists for $150 which, for Cisco, is cheap!!!

Reply to
Thrill5

Where are you seeing a price of $150 for this IOS? I thought it was over $1,000. Thanks.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent

CDW part # 1004750 for $119.99

Although you'd probably have to call and talk to them, they list 'call' instead of 'in stock' like the IP Enterprises part # is listed as.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.