Fake Cisco equipment bust

formatting link
I am just starting to think about getting my CCNA - I have not really began to study yet. I am trying to become familiar with the needs before I decide how to do it. However, I came across the article in the link posted above. I have 2 questions: How does one make fake Cisco equipment??? Is there a big factory in China duplicating their products? And why does this company is still being allowed to operate on eBay ? (I guess that was 3 questions:)

Reply to
wakajawaka
Loading thread data ...

Anything is possible as an old man said once... "in impossible there is a possible"

Reply to
CK

How? The infamous "third shift". If you are a manufacturer in China with the Cisco contract, you can produce Cisco equipment for part of the day and fake Cisco through the night. You already have lots of hardware and packaging from Cisco. All you need to do is insert cheaper memory, etc. -- oh, and bribe the local officials.

This is why we have tainted drugs, toothpaste, etc. Our companies are saving money for their CEOs & stockholders, not employing workers from their own country and all the while acting surprised that such a thing could happen.

eBay will kick them off if there are enough complaints. Or when they start to negatively impact eBay's bottom line.

Reply to
S.G.

S.G. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Very interesting - I had never heard of the "third shift" Quite true what you say about CEOs. I work for a telecommunications company and every day we outsource more and more, to the point where if I didn't work there I wouldn't be a customer.

Reply to
wakajawaka

For more details, look at

formatting link
and:

formatting link
for more specific Cisco dealings.

Reply to
S.G.

I'm curious, wouldn't Cisco know about such a thing and want to do everything possible to protect against this? Don't these plants go around the clock? If not, it seems like Cisco would have personal stationed there that would see this kind of activity.

I just don't understand why we're so asleep towards this kind of behaviour. I really don't think people care.

Reply to
Joe

Thats not the only vector. Take the most counterfeited thing which is probably the WIC-1DSU-T1 card. Cisco's list price on it is $1000. It probably costs

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

S.G. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wow, thanks for the articles. The second one is not so interesting even though it refers specifically to Cisco. The first one though, gives a more complete vision of what really is going on. So it looks like american manufacturers are outsourcing. In the process are moving jobs overseas driven by the greed to ever make more money and give their CEO even fatter paycheques (who is really worth $200 million for a year's work???)And... they're getting beaten at their own game by the crooked chinese. Well, even then they won't stop.. so go figure. Know why? GREED! that's why. Bring back the jobs and control production. That's what they should do. Me feel sorry because you've taken my job away but you are now facing unfair competition?? Not me. Boo hoo! too bad for you.

Reply to
wakajawaka

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.