Equipment needed for an ISDN lab setup?

Hi, I'm studying for the CCNA and I am having a great deal of trouble with ISDN and BRI. I think it would help me to have some physical Cisco ISDN/BRI hardware and actually set it up, get it working, and then intentionally misconfigure and break various pieces to see what that looks like from the router console.

On eBay I have found Cisco 2503 routers w/ BRI interfaces. I have also seen Cisco routers with NT1 interfaces. Can either of these be configured back-to-back with a specific cable? Or, can you configure a third router to simulate an ISDN switch, like you can configure a router to simulate a frame relay switch? I have several spare 2501s and 2514s.

If I can get pointed in the right conceptual direction I can research it from there. I'm just not clear on the components needed for an ISDN LAB.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnH.
Loading thread data ...

You cannot connect Cisco routers back to back on ISDN ports, you need a very basic ISDN switch emulator.

I have successfully used the Emutel Sole 2 BRI ISDN from Arca Technologies when I created a CCIE practice lab in a past life. It functioned flawlessly

see

formatting link
for details

ask them if they have a discount for Cisco students.

Reply to
Merv

Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a $50 +/- solution because I am working on a budget. Is this just not realistic. I have even looked for a software and card solutions for a PC and not found one. Anybody got any suggestions? Or, is the hardward ISDN switch emulator really my only option? Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnH.

2 cheap solutions:
  1. Elmeg C48.net, probably around 0 plus any extras. This is a proper ISDN pbx
  2. Linux/BSD, Asterisk and a cheap TE capable ISDN card. The ISDN card would cost around . Asterisk is free, PC whatever.

As for getting somethings for $50, you must be joking! unless you have a spare PC.

B
Reply to
Bob Goddard

I have not done this however I have seen people say on this group that an old small PBX is the cheapest way to do this.

Also:-

Aaron Leonard (who does not appear to make things up) published on this group recently:

ISDN BRI crossover (for BRI back-to-back connection): RJ-45 ----- RJ-45 3 ----- 4 4 ----- 3 5 ----- 6 6 ----- 5

What you can do with this I don't know.

Reply to
anybody43

Apparently Cisco has a ISDN BRI card that will offer emulation of ISDN emulation; I was not aware of that.

"Beginning with release 12.1.(3)X1, Cisco offers emulation of the ISDN network and with the newer VIC-2BRI-NT/TE card, support for phantom power generation."

see

formatting link
In that article there is mention of a BRI cross-over cable

I see reburnished VIC-2BRI-NT on the net for $800.00

But I believe that my original statement to still be true - that being that Cisco router regular ISDN BRI ports cannot be cabled back-to-back, crossover cable or not.

Reply to
Merv

Hi, (you may recognize that I removed Antw:) the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE is a voice interface card and will only function on voice enabled routers. That means it works only on routers having DSP´s (like PVDM-x) or having a voive-network-module like nm-2V and so on. Also having this I long ago tested it and it only worked with ISDN voice call. So if ISDN service type data appears in D-channel it didn´t work.

Finally I think to use Voice-modules as a ISDN-simulator is too expensive and doesn´t work in all environments.

Reply to
Horst Wagner

As Horst noted, although the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE does support network side BRI, it does not support data applications.

You CAN connect Cisco routers back to back on PRI (T1 or E1) ports.

In any case, I don't think that either the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE or routers with PRI ports will get down to the OP's $50 target price.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.