does cisco 857 support adsl2?

I have a cisco 857w router, and am having some difficulty getting it working. Does anyone know if this router supports adsl2 ?

chris

Reply to
chris
Loading thread data ...

Yes it does, you might need an IOS update ?

Reply to
Rob

thanks, that may be the problem. Do you need a support contract with cisco to get the IOS software ?

Reply to
chris

There is a DSL firmware patch that may be available if you do not have a contract.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

No idea if it will help in your case or not.

Reply to
Bod43

thanks. So in effect, the 857 does not support adsl2 unless you have a support contract.

Reply to
chris

The ADSL modem firmware updates available under that URL can be downloaded without a support contract. I would highly recomment upgrading the firmware because my 877W was unusable before the update.

Running a Cisco without one is difficult anywhere because you can't even get security updates for free.

But you probably can't expect the service from Cisco that you e.g. get from Linksys or Netgear. You did after all only pay ten times as much for your Cisco router. ;-)

Kind regards

Reply to
Matthias Scheler

I did not mean to imply support or otherwise for ADSL2/2+ in any particular version.

I have now looked it up.

formatting link
"Cisco IOS Release 12.4(4)T introduces ADSL2 and ADSL2+ features for the Cisco 857, Cisco 876 and Cisco 877 routers. For "dsl operating-mode" configuration, see the following: "

Support is not that expensive for what you get.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.