Does anyone use setup for routers?

It seems like the more experience you get with routers the more you want to avoid using setup. Is this true? Is there an instance you can think of that setup might be beneficial for the experienced router programmer?

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator
Loading thread data ...

I assume you are talking about the auto-setupo thing that the cisco routers ask you if you want to use if you have a blank config.

Its fairly useless IMHO only because its so simplistic, and takes 10 times longer to do the same thing as what it is trying to simplify for you.

I don't know of anybody (even in the beginner set) that actually uses it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That's exactly what I was thinking. You would think Cisco would create a more useful setup feature by now. Even in their own book they mention how useless auto setup is for most Cisco programmers. hahahaha

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Shoot, I've even accidentally hit enter or whatever and been pushed into the setup phase, and rebooted the router just to avoid it....... But then again I'd probably like to hear the opinion of a Univ. student who is in the field, and if they find it user friendly or valuable? I'm so used to 'config t', 'int x/x', 'ip address ....', etc, that it takes me longer to read the prompts than it does to configure the router without them. However, I wouldn't say they are worthless as perhaps they are indeed valuable to someone who has not become accustomed to CLI configuration.....thoughts?

Reply to
Trendkill

They have come up with something different. The current rev of that would be SDM, but there's been several attempts and revisions of the same thing before the current SDM.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Way back when, about 1993, "config t" had no help utility ("?")

"Config t" was an empty screen. That's all.

If you did not KNOW what to enter in the configuration editor, then you would be lost. Unless, of course, you had the operators' manual which was three seperate books, each one the size of the NYC white pages.

So, at that time, "SETUP" served a usefull purpose - IE - enabling the operator to get the machine up and running with minimal capacity (IP addresses, interfaces 'up,' some passwords, and basic routing), when he/she didn't have access to the telephone books or know all the appropriate commands.

I think the 'setup' utility we see today is just something left over from eons ago, when it did, at that time, serve some purpose.....

Just two cents....

(new subject)

When will cisco do this:

Router#config t Router(config)#interface fa0/0 Router(config-fa0/0)

????

It seems so simple.....

Reply to
John Agosta

Good question..........never even thought of that, but I could see that being tremendously beneficial to the next gen of engineers...and even most of us as the native IOS stuff continues to evolve.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.