Do all service providers accept /24's via BGP?

We have recently acquired a /24 from APNIC and are advertising this range with BGP via two ISP's.

We configured BGP between ISP1 twelve days ago and ISP2 seven days ago. Our second ISP casualy mentioned after the BGP configuration, despite several meetings beforehand, that not all service providers and organizations accept /24 prefixes into their BGP tables.

This would appear to be true - out of the five websites that I visit daily, two are not accessable when I translate myself using an IP from our /24 range.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

At the moment the fix appears to be to ask APNIC for a /22 which is a complete waste of address space.....

James

Reply to
James
Loading thread data ...

In my experience *most* ISP's will accept a /24 prefix but I beleive that some will not. If you have only a /24 then you run the risk of routing problems. Seems silly I know but given the increase in size of the global BGP routing table some ISP's will take measures to reduce it whereever possible.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Thanks.

Do you have any idea what prefix is "safe"?

Reply to
James

Depends on the ISP. Everyone's policy is different.

Reply to
chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.