DHCP server details on Cisco switch

I have a Cisco Catalyst 2960G-24TC-L here. I see that it supports DHCP server functionality. Can this be configured to serve DHCP clients that are not in the same subnet/VLAN in which the switch's management interface resides? In this scenario, the DHCP clients are configured to attach to access ports on the switch which are in a VLAN which is private to the switch. If this is possible, I assume I'll need to designate an IP address for the switch to associate with the DHCP service that's in the same subnet/VLAN as the DHCP clients; I'm wondering how to accomplish this.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael T. Davis
Loading thread data ...

Try

formatting link
"cisco 2960 switch dhcp server configuration " worked for me.

Reply to
grinch

I've been browsing through hits on this and similar searches, and trying to navigate Cisco's documentation maze. I could really use a more specific pointer (or outright instructions).

According to Cisco documentation, I may be limited to only setting an IP address for a single VLAN, which defines this as the management VLAN. Other examples I've found seem to indicate each VLAN can have its own IP address; if this is the case, which one is the management VLAN? (Presumably, the VLAN interface has to have an IP address in the same subnet as the clients to be served via DHCP.) There's a seemingly functional "ip helper-address" command available on the VLAN interfaces, but none of the device-specific manuals I've found document this. I would also be interested in limiting things via the "ip forward-protocol" global command, but this isn't recognized by the current IOS version on the switch, 12.2(25)SEE2. I know this is old, but since I can't find information for the referenced commands in documentation for any versions of IOS _for_this_model_, I don't know if upgrading would help any.

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Michael T. Davis

Why not try it cant do any harm ,not.

Don?t do what I did put an IOS on a 2610 router in my Cisco lab without reading the requirements properly .

The IOS fitted on the flash but there was insufficient memory and the router fell over mid boot every time ,reloading the old IOS via romon is a p.i.t.a

Output certified microsoft free Checked with OpenSUSE 12.1

Reply to
Grinch

Not sure about that specific model of switch. Some switches can only be configured with a single L3 interface (SVI), so they can have an IPv4 point of presence in only one VLAN. Such switches can therefore directly provide DHCP service only to that one VLAN. However, if the default routers for the other VLANs are configured via "ip helper-address" to forward DHCP from those subnets to your switch, then your switch's DHCP server can serve scopes for those VLANs as well.

Other switches can be configured with multiple IP addresses on multiple SVIs. Here's a typical config from such a switch:

interface Vlan136 ip address 192.168.136.1 255.255.255.0 ! interface Vlan137 ip address 192.168.137.1 255.255.255.0 ! ip dhcp pool NET136 network 192.168.136.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 192.168.136.1 ! ip dhcp pool NET137 network 192.168.137.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 192.168.137.1

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.