Dell can go to hell - looking for another hardware vendor

I tend to profess a religious loyalty once I find a reliable vendor, and I am extremely patient with them. Too patient, perhaps. I should have done this a year ago and now the time has come to ditch the bitch.

As far as I am concerned, Dell can go to hell. They have screwed me for the last time. It is sad to see a industry world leader, once such a great company to have sunk so low.

My current line-up looks like this.

Servers: Dell Desktops and workstations: Dell Laptops: IBM/Lenovo

I am afraid I don't have many alternatives. For servers I have to decide between HP and IBM (what else is there?). For desktops the situation seems more dire (again, in terms of the narrow spectrum of choices), since I understand IBM doesn't sell desktops.

Notice that I still have nothing but praise for the superb Dell design. Their problems certainly don't lie in the engineering departments.

BTW: I only run Linux in the server room. Due to the realities of the corporate world, I am forced to run Win-Crap on the client side.

Your recommendations and comments on HP and IBM are most welcome.

-Ramon

Note: if you are one of those cheapo types who hang out in COLA, please go read the next message. I am only interested in the best, well-known, most reliable hardware.

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

So what did Dell do to you?

As far as servers go... our IT guys really like the IBM blade servers. I work in development so I don't actually work hands-on with the stuff but I have some friends in IT and I've seen their setup.

Reply to
Ezekiel

snipped-for-privacy@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Got an hour? :-)

There the issue of misplaced orders. Sending you the wrong stuff. Spending a whole day trying to get a hold of the person with the desired knowledge. The insufferable infinite loop they subject you when trying to navigate their phone system.

One concrete example: I have the catastrophe of having lost (actually I may have it, but it is in the wrong country) the Windows XP installation media. Pretty easy to solve, right? Well, Dell insisted that I had to purchase the Windows license again. Since being bi- lingual, bi-cultural has its privileges, I happen to have a contact/ buddy in Dell Latin America who promptly found a $16 replacement for my XP media and had it shipped. The powers that be intercepted and canceled the shipment and didn't have the honesty to letting me know. I was counting on reinstalling Windows (my PC already has a severe case of The Windows Rot) for a mission critical project. Thanks to Dell I was embarrassed before a client and lost them.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Got an hour? :-)

There the issue of misplaced orders. Sending you the wrong stuff. Spending a whole day trying to get a hold of the person with the desired knowledge. The insufferable infinite loop they subject you when trying to navigate their phone system.

One concrete example: I have the catastrophe of having lost (actually I may have it, but it is in the wrong country) the Windows XP installation media. Pretty easy to solve, right? Well, Dell insisted that I had to purchase the Windows license again. Since being bi- lingual, bi-cultural has its privileges, I happen to have a contact/ buddy in Dell Latin America who promptly found a $16 replacement for my XP media and had it shipped. The powers that be intercepted and canceled the shipment and didn't have the honesty to letting me know. I was counting on reinstalling Windows (my PC already has a severe case of The Windows Rot) for a mission critical project. Thanks to Dell I was embarrassed before a client and lost them.

When they misplaced your order, why didn't you turn it over to your seceratary and have her deal with it?

Am I to understand that you "LOST" your installation disk???!!!!!!!! And you blame DELL??!!!!!

My bro, who is in the business, would fire any fool, who didn't bring every concivable disk with him, on a service call.

Reply to
zara

Yes Dell. The major HW manufacturer to carry Linux.

Good old bitchy Ramon.

Reply to
Hadron

During the Compaq acquisition internal war at HP, the one in which Carly Fiorina was against the founder's children, she made a campaign promise: "If my proposal is approved the combined HP-Compaq will drop its anti-Linux attitude".

Any oldtimer will tell you that DEC, after being squarely beaten up in the microcomputer arena decided to follow the maxim "if you can't beat them, join them". Long story short, Compaq had its nose deeply thrust inside Microsoft's rectum (this has been documented by the DOJ case). Until Carly's victory, that is.

It is my understanding that the 3 big hardware vendors have top notch support for Linux. Linux support is the least of my concerns.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

Pogo Linux.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Customer lack-of-service is a fairly pervasive problem throughout this and many other industries. The rep on the phone with the Indian accent who has been thoroughly trained to help you find the "On" switch and little else has become quite clich=E9.

I suggest you stick with whatever manufacturer who's hardware you happen to like and just try to never need service.

\:-\

Reply to
ThanksButNo

If I only had to choose between IBM and HP I'll go IBM, but why not take a look at Sun, at least for servers.

Reply to
Thommy M.

It is so refreshing and reassuring to see that every newsgroup has its own particular brand and share of misinformed nutcases.

Reply to
VAXman-

particular brand and share of misinformed nutcases.

It's a troll and nothing more, the clue is in the cross posting. You see "Ramon" escaped earlier on and is off his meds. I do apologize for the disturbance ..

"Ramon F Herrera" is actually a long time Usenet troll known as flatfish, been doing it for the best part of a decade, is a most disturbed individual ...

cross posted to: comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.unix.solaris, comp.dcom.sys.cisco

Reply to
Doug Mentohl

Learn how to quote, Outhouse-using moron.

Reply to
chrisv

Erm,... It would be nice if Sun plans to stay in business for a few more years... but I had to just finally toss out Solaris 10 due to the last upgrade message "... this product is now EOL and support stops around March

2009...". Not looking good for Sun. But you are right by going with IBM. My old IBM is now 10+ years running strong. Never did break. I'm still puzzled that the hard drive hasn't gone zonkers yet at this age.
Reply to
GreyCloud

What/who did say that?

Solaris *8* enters End of Service Life Phase 2 by the end of March. That is an OS that shipped in January 2000, about nine years ago.

There are no EOL dates announced for either Solaris 9 or 10 AFAIK.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Durning the Sun Update Manager. It displayed that message.

That was my belief as well, but the message was a bit disturbing.

Reply to
GreyCloud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.