Default gateway based on interface IP?

Hello,

Pardon me for any indiscretions, this is my first time posting to this group. I have a Cisco 1720 router with IOS12.3(26) . It's Outside interface has a Primary IP from one carrier, and a Secondary IP from another carrier. I have it filtering and NAT-ing SMTP traffic for our email server which sits in RFC 1918 address space behind it. I have it's primary IP address published in our DNS as the primary MX record. I would like to publish it's secondary IP in our DNS as the backup MX record. The problem is that ISP 'A' won't route packets with the IP address from ISP 'B' (secondary IP) and visa versa. I am guessing that they both have egress filtering turned on and are silently dropping packets that are not part of their address space. My question is:

How can I have packets destined for the Primary IP be routed back through ISP 'A's default gateway, and have packets destined for the Secondary IP be routed back through ISP 'B's default gateway? Is this possible? If so what would the NAT rules look like as well?

Thanks in advance.

~Rodre

Reply to
Rodre
Loading thread data ...

Search Cisco's web site for "route-map". This will allow you to route packets based on the source address of the packet instead of the destination.

Reply to
Thrill5

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I tried this with no success. Can someone provide a short example? Thanks.

~Rodre

Reply to
Rodre

If you go to

formatting link
and type "route-map" into the search field, their are no less than 4 different results on the first result page that return examples of using route-maps.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.