Copy image from USB to 2821

I am trying to put a new IOS image on a 2821 box, and TFTP after many many tries with different PCs is not working. I have a USB drive formatted to FAT that has the image on it, and when I do #sh usbflash0 it sees the image and lists the filename correctly. But when I try #copy usbflash0 flash and a few other things, it tells me the source and destination are the same.

I did RTFM as best I could -- I have a library of Cisco books but I did all my Cisco stuff ten years ago when there were no USB ports. One post in this loop says "copy the image from your USB drive..." but doesn't say how. So I think it must be possible.

Thanks in advance for help,

Bob Wilson snipped-for-privacy@bobwilson.us

Reply to
Bob Wilson
Loading thread data ...

PS -- It's not the USB I'm so interested in solving, it's getting the image onto the router. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, somebody tell me and suggest another way I can get it on there. Thanks again

Reply to
Bob Wilson

| On Nov 19, 4:05 pm, Bob Wilson wrote: | > I am trying to put a new IOS image on a 2821 box, and TFTP after many | > many tries with different PCs is not working.  I have a USB drive | > formatted to FAT that has the image on it, and when I do #sh usbflash0 | > it sees the image and lists the filename correctly.  But when I try | > #copy usbflash0 flash and a few other things, it tells me the source | > and destination are the same. | >

| > I did RTFM as best I could -- I have a library of Cisco books but I | > did all my Cisco stuff ten years ago when there were no USB ports. | > One post in this loop says "copy the image from your USB drive..." | > but doesn't say how.  So I think it must be possible. | >

| > Thanks in advance for help, | >

| > Bob Wilson | > snipped-for-privacy@bobwilson.us | | PS -- It's not the USB I'm so interested in solving, it's getting the | image onto the router. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, somebody | tell me and suggest another way I can get it on there. Thanks again

Try using ftp. copy ftp flash

Reply to
Morph

I'd thought of that earlier but didn't have an FTP server locally. Since you suggested it, I got a server and installed it, and the image slurped right over without a hitch. Thanks much

Bob W

Reply to
Bob Wilson

Some tftp servers have limitations on the size of file that can be transferred, and 2821 images can be pretty large. I've had success with the latest tftp server from Solarwinds, and it's free.

Al

Bob Wils>> In the message

Reply to
awstiver

I think all tftp servers have a limit of 64k blocks. Blocks are usually 512 bytes but perhaps bigger ones are possible now, no idea. Some old tftp implementations were limited to 32k blocks due to incorrect implementation (signed instead of unsigned int).

64k x 512 bytes =3D 32M.

ftp is the future for IOS images.

Serv-U is ideal for ftp (windows binaries available) tftpd32 for tftp except that the new versions have dhcp server which may be on by default so take care.

Of course non-windows has it all in already.

Reply to
bod43

i still use an ancient 3Com utility 3Cdaemon (on windows).

runs as a user mode program, and has TFTP client and server, FTP server and a Syslog daemon.

A quick google shows it has actually been updated only 3 years ago....

formatting link

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.