Copy Config

I want to copy my running-config to a tftp server. The root directory of the tftp server is /tftp-root/ and I am using tftpd32 but I keep getting ACCESS VIOLATION errors. I have tried from the CLI and the PDM and I always get an error. I found different ways to do this by searching this group and others but it still fails. I am on 515E ver

6.3 and I have tried the following:

copy flash tftp:192.168.100.1

pix(config)# write net Building configuration... TFTP write '/tftp-root/' at 192.168.100.1 on interface 1 Access violation [FAILED]

pix(config)# write net : tftp://192.168.100.1/tftp-root/router.txt Building configuration... [FAILED]

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Paul

Reply to
dexteroc
Loading thread data ...

dexteroc schrieb:

1. what says the log of the tftp-server?
  2. copy running-config tftp://IP/[filename] if you leave the filename away, a default will be used

Klaus

Reply to
klaus zerwes

Most tftp servers require that the destination file already exist before they will allow you to copy anything in to it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Some TFTP servers have access controls that tell the software whether it can receive files only / transmit files only / or both. In Solarwinds TFTP for example, you can specify this in the file--> configure on the security tab. Also it has IP ranges allowed to create files to the TFTP server which is on the advanced security tab.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

^^^^^^^^^^^

The tftp directory on the server may be named C:\\tftp-root but that has nothing to do with the file name that you specify on the tftp client.

^^^^^^^^^^

Leave the directory name out of your tftp file specification. Let the file default into the tftp server's root directory.

If you wanted to put the file into C:\\tftp-root\\pix-configs you'd use tftp://192.168.100.1/pix-configs/router.txt

Reply to
briggs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got further doing it the way you suggested but I got a different error. Seems like I'm still not naming the file or path correctly:

pix(config)# write net tftp://192.168.100.1/pix-configs/router.txt Building configuration... Bad descriptor 'tftp' [FAILED] Usage: write erase|floppy|mem|terminal|standby write net []:

I am going to keep messing around with the file name. I have read in some places that the file has to exist already before this will work. If that is true, how is that possible if I have never copied the file configs before?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
dexteroc

I got it to work. I wasn't typing in the command correctly. It should be:

pix(config)# write net 192.168.100.1:/router.txt Building configuration... TFTP write '/router.txt' at 192.168.100.1 on interface 1 [OK]

Will I be able to restore the firewall from this txt file or am I not saving the file using the correct file extension. I am thinking that I should be saving the running config but I'm not sure if that's what I am getting. When I look at the saved txt file, it appears to be all the firewall settings...

Paul

Reply to
dexteroc

The file extension doesn't matter. It's just a name. Use any name or file extension that makes sense to you.

Note that the leading slash is almost certainly redundant. From the point of view of the tftp protocol, it's just part of the file name. From the point of view of the tftp server, it's an explicit Unix-format directory specification that is automatically stripped out since all tftp file specifications are assumed to start from the root tftp directory anyway.

Yes, that's what you're getting.

If push comes to shove you can copy it into your paste buffer and re-apply it with Hyperterm through your console port.

But yes, tftp'ing it back in should work just fine. You just have to get enough config built so that you have IP connectivity to your tftp server.

Reply to
briggs

No, that is not right. A relative pathname in write net (one that does not start with /) will be treated as being relative to the root tftp directory, but an absolute pathname (one that starts with /) will be treated as an absolute pathname by the tftp server -- least for standard Unix tftp.

Note, though, that in places where the whole is written as a URI, such as tftp://192.168.100.1/router.txt then the first / after the host id is just a seperator for URI syntax, and will be removed by the URI parser in constructing the destination name. In this example, the destination file would be router.txt, and because that does not start with slash, this would be treated as relative to the first tftp authorized destination directory. If, though, one doubles the slash, tftp://192.168.100.1//router.txt then the first slash is stripped out by the URI parser, leaving a destination file of /router.txt and the tftp server will treat that as an absolute pathname, not a relative path name (at least in standard unix tftp servers.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.