console port

I've got a bunch of modems out there connected to console ports on cisco routers. I know there is no way to reverse telnet to the console port like you can to the aux port. I need to figure out some way to send some modem AT commands to the modem. I tried doing a send con 0 then typing my command, but the banner that gets sent first is messing things up. In fact if you connect a modem directly to a pc and then copy and paste this in to a terminal session, you'll get nothing from the modem:

*** *** *** Message from tty2 to all terminals: *** ats0?

I've got a rs232 analyser online and see that it's getting to the modem, but no go. Even pasting ***ats0? into a terminal doesn't work. I need a way to blindly send data to the console port w/ no banners. I don't need to read back any data, just send.

Surely others have run into this issue before. Appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance.

SPH

Reply to
sph042
Loading thread data ...

Doing some further research, it seems that if I can up the inter- character delay to about 30msec all will be fine. Does anyone know if this is possible to do?

Reply to
sph042

~ > I've got a bunch of modems out there connected to console ports on ~ > cisco routers. I know there is no way to reverse telnet to the console ~ > port like you can to the aux port. I need to figure out some way to ~ > send some modem AT commands to the modem. I tried doing a send con 0 ~ > then typing my command, but the banner that gets sent first is messing ~ > things up. In fact if you connect a modem directly to a pc and then ~ > copy and paste this in to a terminal session, you'll get nothing from ~ > the modem: ~ >

~ > *** ~ > *** ~ > *** Message from tty2 to all terminals: ~ > *** ~ > ats0? ~ >

~ > I've got a rs232 analyser online and see that it's getting to the ~ > modem, but no go. Even pasting ***ats0? into a terminal doesn't ~ > work. I need a way to blindly send data to the console port w/ no ~ > banners. I don't need to read back any data, just send. ~ >

~ > Surely others have run into this issue before. Appreciate any ~ > insights. ~ >

~ > Thanks in advance. ~ >

~ > SPH ~ ~ Doing some further research, it seems that if I can up the inter- ~ character delay to about 30msec all will be fine. Does anyone know if ~ this is possible to do?

A ha, you're the same guy whose post I answered in comp.dcom.modems a few minutes ago.

So piecing your story together, I have gathered that:

- you have USR Courier modems

- you have (some model of) Cisco routers

- the Couriers are cabled to the router console ports at some (unspecified) speed

So ... I will add some observations that may or may not be helpful here ...

a) If you have a Cisco 8xx router with the console/aux port, then we definitely have seen problems communicating w/ Courier above 57600 bps. (Although I'm not sure that we tried with 2 stopbits.) So, try 1 stopbit, try slower speeds.

b) It's somewhat tricky to configure a modem on a console port - see below for my deep wisdom on the subject that I try to impart to the Cisco TAC ...

Good luck,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.