Connecting Modem to Console on 1700 series

Hi Guys

I currently have a cisco 1700 that I'm trying to connect a modem through to the console port.

The modem answers and says connected (see below from my management station)

tip nops connected attd 901322359XXX CONNECT 19200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS

But moves no further from this prompt

Heres a copy of the configuration of the console port on my router:

line con 0 exec-timeout 120 0 password 7 xxxxxx login authentication console

Does anyone have any suggestions on succesful ways of configuring this? If I connect the the AUX port it works fine.

Cheers S

Reply to
scotty.west
Loading thread data ...

I was not aware that you could use the console port for this... my understanding is that you must use the auxillary port.

Reply to
GusttyWinds

Try knocking your modem down to 9600 baud and the other settings of

8N1. J
Reply to
J

~ Hi Guys ~ ~ I currently have a cisco 1700 that I'm trying to connect a modem ~ through to the console port. ~ ~ The modem answers and says connected (see below from my management ~ station) ~ ~ tip nops ~ connected ~ attd 901322359XXX ~ CONNECT 19200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS ~ ~ But moves no further from this prompt ~ ~ Heres a copy of the configuration of the console port on my router: ~ ~ line con 0 ~ exec-timeout 120 0 ~ password 7 xxxxxx ~ login authentication console ~ ~ Does anyone have any suggestions on succesful ways of configuring this? ~ If I connect the the AUX port it works fine. ~ ~ Cheers ~ S

The problem is likely that the answer modem has decided to set its DTE rate to 19200 bps while the console port is set to 9600 bps.

Following is some hard earned advice on connecting modems to console ports. Issue #3 is likely yours.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.