compaq loopback cables ?

I recently bought a cisco module NM-16ESW (16 port switch) and when it arrived all the sockets had little 2 inch cables sticking out of them. These cables were sealed at the end and some were labelled: Compaq PN 317463-001 SPARE

317465-001 ID 10036233 REV. C I saw on google they are called 'Compaq loopback cables' and I saw several places that advertised them for sale but I don't know what they're for. does anyone know what the function of these is? thanks for any advice.
Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

Guess they wanted to get rid of them.. :)

I don't find them all that useful, but they just loop the transmits back out to the receives for the port, so you can test that everything looks good on the port and comes up and tests out for the switch.

Ie. make one here.

formatting link
Much like a T1 loopback connector which will loop the T1 transmit back to receive so you can test the wire and find faults, you can test each port with the ethernet loopback plugged in.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Without researching the exact devices it seems likely that they are Ethernet loopback plugs.

I have not read these but the GOOGLE heading seems to suggest that they will be of interest.

formatting link

formatting link
"Use Loopback Testing for Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces"

They will bring the port UP if it is enabled.

Any packets sent out will be sent back in.

If STP is enabled then of course the ports will transition to STP blocking state. Unless of course portfast is enabled and a broadcast storm overwhelms the CPU first.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.