Cisco Switch Question

Hi There;

I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) - I won't pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.

I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.

When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting information.

Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30 ( see what I mean?)

Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to factory default.

Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running config' if need be.

Thanks

Glen

Reply to
GlenM
Loading thread data ...

I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) - I won't pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.

I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.

When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting information.

Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30 ( see what I mean?)

Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to factory default.

Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running config' if need be.

Thanks

Glen

Reply to
GlenM

Did you want to run the switch at layer 2 or layer 3 VLANs? Thats probably the source of difficulty..

The layer-2 VLAN creation is through the top level 'vlan' command.

Ie.

vlan 10,20,30

Assign a port to vlan 30

interface FastEthernet 0/5 switchport access vlan 30

Do you want layer 3 or layer-2?

You don't need to assign 'interface Vlan 30' any IP address info if you don't need layer-3 routing.

Probably describe what you want to do, and what you have now with the important config bits. Ie. the 'vlan' command, the 'interface' commands..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi - thank you for responding.

I am not certain if I want layer 2 or 3 vlans - I will have to look up the difference. Like I said, I am a little new at this and it is starting to come together.

So far, besides the price, there is not much that I *don't * like about Cisco Switches and Routers.

I will go over my commands and get back to you - probably tomorrow.

Glen

I will get back to you

Reply to
GlenM

Hi;

Thanks for your assistance.

Apparently, I just needed to sit down and actually study what a VLAN actually is. Now that I understand what the hell I am doing, it made things much clearer.

To answer your question, I was creating layer 2 VLANs. More or less just separating two things - client and video.

It seems to work very well.

Thank you for responding.

Glen

Reply to
GlenM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.