cisco router clones

I've heard there are (presumeably illegal) imitation cisco routers out there somewhere. Do they look like cisco routers, or have 'similar' names like imitation rolex watches? If they look different and have different names, what is/are some name(s) so I will recognize one if i see one?

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate the Alliance for Gray Market and Counterfeit Abatement:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Check out the Adtran NetVantas. They use a remarkably familiar interface.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Brad Reese: AGMA is a potentiall interesting site, but the best they could do is tell me to buy from the manufacturer or authorized distributors, and as a student buying for a home lab, I need to buy cheap.

Jonathan: Adtran looks interesting, but they don't look like clones.

To recap:

1. Is it true that there are "clones" running probably non-licensed copies of Cisco code out there in the used market?

1. If so, are they full cosmetic fakes, i.e. to a casual inspection to they appear to be cisco routers, including having a cisco logo on them?

2. If not, what name do they go by? If cheap enough, it might be interesting to have one just as a museum piece.

Personal aside: One would think that such clones would not exist past the cisco AGS level, since I think newer machines have proprietary hardware, which would be hard to replciate.

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Yes. Look for "Huawei". They copy lots of things, including phone infrastructure equipment. One of their router series (I believe the AR28-10/11 series) are copies of the Cisco 3600s.

No, they carry the Huawei logo and have their own housing design.

On the contrary. Cisco and all the other big names don't manufacture their own stuff any more. They have companies like Flextronics do that.

If a product is engineered to be sent as a set of drawings and specs to those companies, a company with similar capabilities can copy them very easily. All they need is the information. And in fact have the same outsourcer make their stuff on an adjacent production line. I find this trend very disturbing. My own employer has similar problems, with out-of-production mobile phones still being made (and sold) in quantity by copycats.

- Markolf

Reply to
Markolf Gudjons

well, in 2003, just some of one product's code was copied from Cisco according to the article below, so this isn't what I was asking about. I was curious about full 100% clones.

formatting link
March 25, 2003 (12:08 PM EST) techweb Huawei Promises To Delete Copied Cisco Code

By TechWeb.com

Huawei Technologies Co. says it will remove from its router software code copied from competitor Cisco Systems Inc.

Huawei said the tainted code is confined to one module of the software and won't be in new versions....

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.