Cisco Newbie Help with L2 and L3 Devices

OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?

Anyone help me out here?

Thanks, Ry

Reply to
Ry
Loading thread data ...

In a phone interview, you should be going off your own knowledge.

However, as a clue, you might want to do some research on subjects such as:

- Virtual LANs (VLAN)

- VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol): VLAN database revision numbers especially, when you are adding a new swich to the network!

- Routing protocols

Then again, if you don't actually understand what you are talking about over the phone, then it will REALLY stick out! :-)

Reply to
Intuitive

Cheers, I've not had the chance to add a new network device yet, just some support!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Reply to
Ry

I will echo the VTP answer, as that is the one area that will bring down your whole network if you don't know what you are doing. The rest of the answers are things to do/check to make sure your install is prepared correctly and goes in smoothly without last minute changes and on the fly configuration.

management IPs vtp domains/revision trunking configurations

And on the routing side, routing protocols, addressing, configurations, summarization, route-maps, etc.

Reply to
Trendkill

SPANNING TREE!

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.